Super Frustrated!

Lemily
on 3/10/14 10:44 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I am almost 8 weeks out and while I have lost about 30% of my weight in these weeks, I have stopped losing. This is even after working out and going to the gym. I know I have heard others mention stales. Please someone tell me the scale will start moving again? I have been teetering b/t 1/2-1 pound loss/gain for the past 5 days! I know it sounds stupid, but its kind of like you lost all motivation because its like "what's the point".

Help?!?!!?

angie M.
on 3/10/14 10:53 pm - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

We all have the dreaded stalls.  It's just your body adjusting to all of the changes.  My first stall lasted nearly 3 weeks, and it was really hard to get through mentally.  That being said, I continued to lose inches while the weight fluctuated only 1 lb.  Just keep moving forward, and it will catch up with you.  Even if you are not losing pounds at the moment, you are continuing to improve your health!  Good luck!

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

Lemily
on 3/10/14 11:24 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

Thanks Angie! That helps a lot. I do feel the inches going. I just get worried that I did all this, and that's all I am going to lose. It's very challenging right now b/c the weight I am at is where I was for a really long time before I gained the excess weight out of no where. Thanks for your support!

angie M.
on 3/11/14 12:07 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

Just remember you're not alone in this.  When you're feeling frustrated just hit the forum and check in with what others are experiencing - it can help you through the rough patches.  And by sharing, you can help others, too... 

Lemily
on 3/11/14 12:12 am
VSG on 01/16/14

That's exactly why I came right here and totally bypassed my husband LOL. I know I would get the support I needed and the direction to keep on trucking! My downfall through previous attempts at weight loss were because it wasn't coming off fast enough. I know this is a marathon not a sprint, and sometimes you just have to hear it from others! Thanks everyone for all your support!

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/10/14 10:55 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Stalls happen. Your body is trying to find a new normal. When you aren't losing pounds, you're losing inches.  Hopefully you took your measurements prior to surgery.

If you feel like you've lost motivation, try on the pair of your fat pants that you've kept to take your before and after goal pics. Get some perspective. This is not a magic bullet. This is not a race, it's a marathon.  No weight loss for 5 days? There are people doing the same as you, eating right, exercising and getting all their fluids in who have not lost in a month.  

What's the point? To get healthy. You are now eating healthier and working out. The weight loss will follow. Congrats!

Lemily
on 3/10/14 11:25 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

You are so right. Thank you for knocking me back into perspective! I needed that slap :)

The_True_KayD
on 3/10/14 11:58 pm

The stalls are needed! It gives your body a chance to adjust to the loss. Imagine you working a job where someone keeps piling things on you. Eventually you need to tell them to stop so that you can catch up! Same thing for our bodies. Using the scale as the only measure of success will surely make this journey more challenging. My successes are: eat to plan, meet my water goals, meet my workout goals, seeing my clothes getting baggy, more space between me and the steering wheel, i can stand up with no pain, I am off my obesity related health problem meds, I can cross my legs...These are all great and worthy for celebration. The scale will do what it will do...it will not define my emotions and feelings of success. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

princesswimmer24
on 3/11/14 12:17 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I lost 2lbs last month, it was month 6 for me. I was not happy with that number, but I didn't freak out during the month, instead I kept doing what I'm doing and I took my measurements. I had lost 21 inches!! You really have to have the right perspective. Freaking out over a number on the scale is not going to help your weight loss. Try to focus on how you feel, how your clothes feel, maybe the compliments you are receiving from others. Try to stay positive!!

Lemily
on 3/11/14 12:29 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I told my husband we are throwing away the scale tonight. It is definitely going to be my foe not my friend. I totally did not take my measurements before surgery..not even a before picture b/c i didnt want to remember how I felt. Im taking a picture tonight AND we are taking my measurements!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views