Weight Loss Post Sleeve

happygurl429
on 3/11/14 12:12 am - Belleville, MI

I am having a revision from band to sleeve done.  I am wondering how many people were able to lose more than 65% of their excess weight and keep it off?  I have 100 lbs to lose and I am hoping to drop 80 of that.  Is this a realistic goal? 

Thanks in advance!

Christina

LosingSarah
on 3/11/14 1:30 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I think it is realistic. Even 100% is realistic. It is all about how much you put into it. I'm sure you know, having had WLS before, that the sleeve is just a tool, and so much of what we do (lifestyle change, healthy choices, exercise, and so on) after we get this tool will determine how successful we are. 

Congrats on getting your band removed and getting sleeved. I've heard many horror stories about the band and there are so many people who get revisions due to complications. Good luck!

happygurl429
on 3/11/14 1:46 am - Belleville, MI

Thanks so much! It definitely is a tool!  It's really disappointing that the band was a failure.  It worked for about a year and a half. I actually lost 100 lbs!  So, to have gained back 50 pounds is miserable:(  I am really hoping that the sleeve is the answer!

Christina

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 1:45 am - Canada

65% is the average.  Some people lose 30% and some lost 110%....you need to decide if you are below average, average or above average.  It's all up to you. I'm 3 lbs away from the 65% average at 11 weeks out.  I guess I could stop and be called a success but I didn't go through this to give up before I'm even done having complications lol.  You should set your goal of 100lbs and keep at it.  You can get there!

happygurl429
on 3/11/14 1:49 am - Belleville, MI

Great job on your loss!  I definitely feel like I lost some motivation after seeing the band fail.  It makes me feel like a failure.  I know if I can get good restriction ( like I had with the band for the first year or so) ...I can make it happen!  Im so looking forward to a new chance at this!  Thanks for your post!

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 2:10 am - Canada

There is a revision forum I believe if you haven't found it yet.  The band fails.  It's not uncommon and you aren't the failure.  The procedure is.  My clinic won't even do it because of it's track record.  I pray you have an uncomplicated removal of your band and a successful sleeve surgery.  You will find it a world of difference!

G5x5
on 3/11/14 2:49 am - VA

It's probably under estimated.

I started out with a goal of 100 pounds because I needed 97-98 to get to a normal BMI, so I rounded up.  I'm guessing your 80 pounds leaves you short of that target.

Assuming you're of a reasonable height to weight ratio (reasonable for us that is), you can be successful.  If you're not going to have a lot of excess skin, I see no reason you can't shoot for it all (so to speak).

Just remember, this is a 6-12 month journey.  Managing impatience is the hardest part.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Yogalady
on 3/11/14 6:24 am

Amen to the patience part I am finding that the hardest- 4.5 months out down 58- and want to lose 30 more NOW!!!

certifiedcoder
on 4/11/16 5:28 pm, edited 4/11/16 10:29 am

I had my conversion on March 15th. Band removed, hiatal hernia repaired and conversion to gastric sleeve. I feel blessed that I only regained 20 lbs after band complications and I quickly made the decision to convert. I lost and maintained 100 with the band for 8 years. So far I have lost 25 lbs. My surgeon has a strict program. I was shocked to see what others are eating so soon after. I was on clear liquid only, for 1 week. Water, tea, crystal light and zero cal gator aide.  Week 2 I started to add protein shakes (60 grams), in addition to the clear liquids. I remained on that ONLY, for 2 weeks and now I am in the next phase for 2 more weeks. Pureed foods- but NO peas, corn, crackers, pasta, mashed potatoes, beans, oatmeal, SOUP,soda, juice, rice, beef, etc....No CARBS!

Approved foods are protein, veggies, and fruit including chicken and fish, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce.. I am allowed 1 cup of coffee a day and PB 2 ...thats it! When I move to the next phase which will last 2 more weeks it is the same food list only softened and shredded, not pureed. I must say it feels so amazing to be detoxed from all the sugar and poison that I was eating. 

His program and patients are very successful when they follow the program. I am so thankful I have a second chance. 

Does anyone have a chronic pain in their Left side . Sorta under the rib cage?

Alicia

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views