Caffeine?

tansey90
on 3/10/14 9:10 pm

Surgery set for March 24.  Got pre-op diet yesterday, start on March 17 (7 days).  Just found that no caffeine is allowed -- boo!  I love my coffee.  Now, unlike a lot of people, I drink mine black so no added calories.  Why is caffeine a no-no?  Will caffeine be a no-no a year from now?  I only drink about 2 (6 oz) cups of coffee a day now (Keurig). 

I don't have a problem giving up sweets, fruit or alcohol but coffee  - oh boy, I'm gonna have to wrap my head around this! 

Lisa B (tansey90)

Snellville, GA

Aquafinaflo
on 3/10/14 9:14 pm
VSG on 02/18/14

My dietician told me that I could have decaf coffee

Hw: 260 lbs / start weight: 248 lbs / SW:238 lbs / 1wk postop:228 lbs  

current weight:  219 lbs   

onmyway06062011
on 3/10/14 9:40 pm - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

My NUT said no caffeine and the reason being it is hard on the stomach and we have such a small stomach after we are sleeved I asked her if this would be forever and she said that's what they recommend  also because caffeine also creates acid which causes troubles that being said she also told me that it is a personal decision and she thinks that if my tummy doesn't have trouble with it then I could have a small amount a day after I give my sleeve time to heal but honestly I thought I would have a hard time switching to decaf but I did a month ago and I really am happy that I made the change to be healthier good luck, dawn

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/10/14 10:47 pm, edited 3/10/14 10:47 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I drank regular coffee up to my surgery date. I then proceeded to have horrific caffeine withdrawal headaches for several days while recovering from surgery in the hospital. Do yourself a favor and start weaning now. 

At 4.5 months out I have a cup a day and always make sure I take my PPI first. 

AK_Gipson
on 3/11/14 12:05 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I was told caffeine stimulates hunger. and yeah it's pretty much a no no from now on. I stopped caffeine a month ago. I thought it would be easy as I only drank 2 large cups of coffee a day. I was wrong. For 3 days, I laid on the couch with a horrible headache and I was nauseous. Nothing works on the headache, except sleep. If you work, I would do this over a weekend, you won't be fit for company. I was a witch from hell. I was so bad, my kids hid from me. On the 3rd day, I woke up clear headed and fine. I switched to decaf coffee in the morning. (still 2 cups ;) 

Its harder staying caffeine than I thought it would be. Habit of just grabbing a coke at the gas station. Or a glass of tea. Or hubby grabbed breakfast on a car trip and ordered a Pepsi, instead of bottled water. Or hey I got some water pills the other day (I'm pre-op, and have issues with salt) and those little buggers have caffeine in them!

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Scott S.
on 3/11/14 12:49 am - TX

I've read some different things on caffeine.  It may help metabolism, but may also cause carb cravings and dehydrate you.  It just depends on what you believe.  Creamer calories can ad up as well.

I told my NUT that I had 2-3 cups a day (last 20 years)... and she asked if those were 4/6 oz cups or Venti.... I saw her point!

I decided to cut out the caffeine since surgery.  For me, I have replaced my coffees with Protein shakes.  No headaches at all.... although it could have been from the pain medication in the first few weeks that I didn't notice.  I don't miss it.

I will drin****d tea and hot tea occasionally.  The iced tea can get me a bit hopped up now.

Everyone's journey is unique.  For me, I cut coffee out and used my surgery as an opportunity to see if I could cut out coffee.  So far so good. 

Scott

PS-  My bank account is thanking me as well.  ($4.50 x 365 = $1642.50 that Starbucks won't miss!)

VSG: 8/8/13 

tansey90
on 3/11/14 1:17 am

Thanks for all your replies.  I have thought it over and decided that I can live without coffee.  Had EGD last week and didn't have any, didn't get headache either.  I will get through it and be better for it.  I do believe that caffeine stimulates hunger or at least your stomach to rumble and then you think it is hunger.  I also know that for me, it helps me stay regular; hoping that won't be an issue.  I never buy coffee out so saving money there isn't an issue and I only drink it black so I won't save any calories.  Still I guess they have that as a rule for a good reason.  Thanks for everyone's comments.

stratusphr
on 3/11/14 3:51 am, edited 3/11/14 3:56 am - Plano, TX
I suffer from migraines, so I weaned myself off caffeine prior to surgery. This is what I did over a 3 week period. Mixed coffee - 3/4 reg, 1/4 decaf, then 1/2 & 1/2, 3/4 decaf, 1/4 reg. I think caffeine can contribute to slower healing. All physicians are different. Mine allowed caffeine after 6 weeks, but sadly coffee and tea tasted funny to me. Thank God, at 3 months everything was back to normal. I am certain I drink more than I should, but coffee is my drug of choice. I have three cups in the mornings and usually I make a small pot in the afternoon and have another 2 cups! I reached my doctor's goal in five months and my personal goal, a month later. I've been maintaining for over three years. It hasn't hurt me, no problems....at all. So, you DO need to stop prior to surgery, after that, it's between you and your doctor. I wasn't one to 'break rules', but had he told me 'no coffee, ever' I'd have probably done it anyway.

"Seas The Day"      

Dr. James Davidson - Dallas, TX

Surgery date: June 11, 2010

Goal reached: December 2010

Weight loss: 84 lbs

Jillibeanz
on 3/13/14 9:11 am

I had the same question.  I am 2 weeks post-op, and emailed the nutritionist at my surgeon's office today asking when I can have coffee.  She said that she "sympathizes with coffee drinkers" and 1 cup of caffinated coffee a day is fine.  I can have all the decaf I want.  I had my first cup of coffee in over two weeks today, and it was FABULOUS!!!!

tansey90
on 4/14/14 10:51 pm

Update:  Had my post op appointment with my surgeon last Friday (down 20 pounds according to him -- but really 25 if you start the day before my weeklong liquid diet pre-surgery).  Anyway, I asked him about caffeine and he told me it was fine in moderation.  I told him I drink 2 cups (6-8 oz each) a day BLACK and he said no problem.  Since I've had caffeine the last 4 days, I am more "regular" and that's another issue that no longer is a problem!  Caffeine doesn't upset my stomach and doesn't seem to make me hungry as I have my first cup before breakfast and my second 30 minutes after breakfast. 

Lisa B (tansey90)

Snellville, GA

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views