Increasing protein slow down hair loss?

metk79
on 3/11/14 3:13 pm

I know the hair loss thing is unavoidable but I am curious if increasing my protein will help slow the amount of hair loss? Each brushing results in large globs of hair, plus I am sweeping and vacuuming hair off my floor and constantly having to clean my shower drain. It's terrible and starting to frighten me. I have long, thick, beautiful hair that sits between my lower and middle back, I have noticed just within the last three weeks my hair has thinned substantially. I'm only into the first month of a considerable and noticeable hair loss phase. Gosh, I hope this doesn't go on for more than 3-6 months. I feel I might have to go wig shopping before it is all said and done. I take Biotin on a daily basis in hopes that it'll help with a quicker regrowth.

Any thoughts will be grateful!

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

cappy11448
on 3/11/14 3:42 pm

From all I've heard and read, the hair loss is a result of the trauma of surgery/anesthesia and there is nothing that can be done to stop it.  For me, it started at about 3 months post-surgery and continued for about 3 months.  I took biotin and upped my protein intake, but it just took time.  At about 6 months post-op, I started using a body building gel and blow drying my hair because it was so thin.  At 9 months post-op, I noticed a crop of short hair sticking straight up on top of my head.  It was about an inch long, so I guess the regrowth started in month 8.  I was never so happy to have unruly hair! 

The hair loss is temporary.  You'll be back to normal by about 1 year post-op.

Best wishes,

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

metk79
on 3/11/14 3:52 pm

Thank you, Carol. Your words are easing my worries.  I am coming out of my third month post-op, so I guess I need to get use to seeing a brush full of hair. It'll pass eventually. Thank goodness I was blessed with a lot of it! Haha

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/11/14 9:29 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Protein is a good thing and will help with hair regrowth. My hair loss started at the 3rd month and now, 6 weeks later, it is still coming out at a tremendous rate. Biotin may help with the new regrowth but there's not much to be done for the hair you are currently losing. I share your concerns! My once long and thick hair is falling out at a fantastic rate and it is distressing. On the other hand, yea! weight loss and better health. So at least we have that going for us 

sonia29
on 3/11/14 11:01 pm
FYI, I'm 14 months post-op and I'm still losing hair...

29y/ 5'4 / HW 265/SW 255/CW 120.1/Final goal 125

PrincessPR
on 3/12/14 1:04 am
VSG on 12/17/13

I'm coming to month three and knock on wood, NO hair loss here! Now, with that being said, I am Asian and have VERY thick, health hair to begin with. I do not color treat, blow-dry, heat style (curl or flat iron), plus I deep condition every week and do NOT shampoo everyday. However, I am also diligent about maintaining my intake of HEALTHY fat along with protein. I know Keith, JubJub(Tom) and Frisco have all recently told everyone the importance of keeping fat in your diet. I know it's easy to get into low-fat / fat-free but it's counter productive!! By incorporating FAT into my diet I'm able to actually lose MORE via ketosis. Fat is NECESSARY for optimal ketosis. Finally, remember your vitamin intake. Anemia or iron deficiency us a HUGE reason for hair loss. Also, D3. Unless you work outside in a sunny climate, you most likely are already D3 deficient. A "regular" dose of D3 probably isn't cutting it. I take just over 5000 IU daily.

I hope this helps... I'm attaching a link with some more ideas.

Good luck!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/hair-loss-foods-to- eat_n_3319975.html#slide=2536528

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

jlovetro
on 3/12/14 6:15 am

I'm 6months post-op and started losing hair about a month ago and I just went and bought a hair piece for the crown where I lost most of it.  I hate washing my hair I wanna cry everytime I do.  Hoping this is short lived since my hair was always thin to begin with.. Good luck

4jessie
on 3/12/14 6:38 am

I have not had my sleeve yet (next week) but I did see my Nutritionist yesterday and she told me that not meeting the right protein levels contributes significantly to hair loss. Not trying to scare you but it did get my attention for sure.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views