Day before surgery

Etoi25
on 3/11/14 9:54 pm

I made it through a 3 week liquid diet and have reached my milestone of "The day before surgery" or as I call it, "The day before the new me is created"! Talk about excited!!! So the typical question, what do I do to prepare for my hospital stay? What should I expect when I wake from surgery? How hard is that first week? So many question!?!?! Any advise from some of the you whom have experienced this moment. Any advice would be great!! I'm so excited......All of this from a person who is NEVER excited about anything!!! 

Jiliana2
on 3/11/14 10:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I only had my surgery about 5 weeks ago, so it's all still vividly clear for me. It's so exciting isn't it?! I know! I completely understand where you're coming from right now.

What do you do to prepare for your hospital stay? Pack your bag. Include slippers or slip-on flats for walking. A robe or comfortable pyjamas if you are so inclined to change out of the hospital gowns. Toiletries for showering and grooming. Chapstick or some lip balm of some sort. I brought my own coloured facecloth  in a baggie (nurses on these forums have said that "You never know where the hospital's cloths have been!"). My own pillow, in a coloured pillowcase, for the ride home. Hospital card or medical insurance details if needed. And either something to read or an iPad, iPhone, or some form of entertainment. Also make sure you have everything ready at home for your return. Small containers to store meal-sized portions. Food processor or magic bullet or whatnot comes in handy too. Protein powder(s) that you like. Or a case of Premiere Protein for your protein shake phase and thereafter if your centre advises it.

What to expect when you wake from surgery? Nurses checking your vitals, listening to your tummy and belly with a stethescope, liquid painkiller (sickly sweet for me until I asked for crushed meds instead) and then a porter will take you to your room. I got settled there and I spent my time sleeping off the anaesthesia, walking, reading, and chatting to other post-op bari patients. Be aware that they may want to measure your urine output or check the colour to make sure you are able to pee and to see that you are not dehydrated. My surgery was 8 a.m. and that afternoon, I was able to have 1/3 apple juice with 2/3 water, and beef broth for supper that evening. They checked my incisions. The surgeon's assistant came round that evening to check on me as well. The next day I was able to shower. My husband helped me because I was unable to stretch (with the bruising and soreness from surgery) enough to wash my back and feet. I put on my own pyjamas and the nurses changed the dressings on my incisions. I walked and sipped, walked and sipped. We adjusted my pain meds (didn't need them as frequently) and upped the nausea meds because I was really feeling ill. After that was under control, all was good.

How hard is the first week? Not incredibly hard, but definitely not easy. My stomach was so sore, I found it hard to get in and out of bed and get comfortable in bed because the bed is flat, unlike hospital beds. I had lots of pillows to prop me up because I couldn't sleep on my side. If you have a recliner, that would be much easier to sleep in. I was also very, very cold. I still am. I sleep with an extra blanket on my side of the bed and with two heated bags. My toes are freezing all the time! I took a week to get myself on track with all my vitamins and things, and now it's a routine. After a week, I was more comfortable walking, but I overdid it by going out to run errands with a family member and we really were out too long. I was in pain and had to go back to the car to sit down. Too much, too fast. Listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to rest.

These are just my experiences. I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.

Good luck. And yes, BE EXCITED! It's such an exciting time!!! I'm excited for you!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Etoi25
on 3/12/14 12:35 am

Thank you so much Jiliana2!!! Great info and advice!!! Oh man, I'm like a kid on Christmas Day!!! Whoo-hoo!!!

Scott S.
on 3/12/14 3:02 am - TX

The post above is pretty thorough.  

The pillowcase to hold up against your belly for the ride home was a critical one for me.

I was in my robe for 2 days and wore the same clothes out that I wore in.

Toiletries for sure.

Be prepared to walk after surgery and sip, sip, sip water when you are allowed.  The walking helped expedite recovery.  I was told that I walked 2 hours after surgery, but I don't remember.... :).

Make it by the first 4 days and you will be fine IMO.  The "stomach" did not hurt that much.  The incision to take ths stomach out (big one) hurt the worst.  

Good luck to you and best wishes!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views