Pesky Stall Again

Rosie B.
on 3/13/14 4:40 am

So I spoke to the NUT yesterday about my two-month stall.  I have been following all the rules and exercising and adding more water.  Seems since I have been doing strength training, cardio, etc, she seems to feel I am adding muscle which weighs more.  Also, since I am a "supposed lightweight", I weighed 208 day of surgery (224 before the fasts) and lost 42 lbs and I am 3-months out.  So her theory is that I haven't got that much more weight to lose.  I had a NSV when she said that because I feel like I have 70 lbs to go but I only have 30 (which shocked me because I have never had just 30 lbs to lose), and she says the last lbs are usually the hardest to lose.  My goal is 150.  I wouldn't mind losing more, but I am older and we will just have to see.

Anyhoo, that all made me feel better but I would like to see the lb's go down.  She said hide the scale and measure; if the inches are going and my clothes are falling off then I am on the right track and to keep doing what I have been doing.  I have always had a hard time losing lbs.  I always lose inches, and that is one of the reasons I had this surgery.  I guess I just assumed that those pounds would just melt off, but as usual, they want to stubbornly hand on to me.  She told me not to cut calories and not to add calories, keep tracking.  I am going to see her in a few weeks and show her a print out from My Fitness Pal just to make sure.

Just wanted to share my story with some of you "lightweights" who are at a big stall.  I feel better hearing this but I also feel that I want to lose those lbs. just as  a personal goal.  This has not been an easy journey, don't be fooled.  I will say, however, that I feel better, I can move better, I certainly look better, people treat me better, and so much more.  So is it worth it?  Absolutely!  I have never been able to lose 40 lbs so quickly, let alone, lose 40 lbs at all. 

SMR09
on 3/13/14 4:49 am

Oh, those stubborn pounds!  I was a "light weight" also and when my body stopped losing, it stopped.  So  I increased cals a bit and now I can lose about 1/2# a week.  But it gets discouraging. I am over 4 years out, haven't gained and am still working on losing.  I think I always will be trying.  Thanks for sharing.  Maybe I have more muscle now since I exercise religiously.

Rosie B.
on 3/13/14 5:08 am

I wish I could lose 1/2 lb a week.  Maybe I will try increasing a little.  At 3 months, I still have a hard time eating a lot of food.  OMG at 4- years out I would think you would be done.  But, if you look good and feel good I guess that's good.  How far are you from your goal?  And you are an exerciser too!  I also worry (being older), what happens if I can't exercise?  Once I had Achilles tendon surgery and was out for 6-months. 

It is  really kind of discouraging.  I see what some vets eat on here and wow, they only have three meals and mostly just chicken or fish with no snacks.  Is that what we need to do?

SMR09
on 3/13/14 5:24 am, edited 3/13/14 5:26 am

I eat oatmeal made with milk for breakfast and a light lunch (today I ate a protein bar), but earlier in the week I ate 1/2 of a chicken fil a wrap for lunch.  I usually have a cheese stick (or 2) for snack.  (they are low fat and 60 cals each)  For dinner I eat what I cook for my husband, but I only eat what I can fit on a saucer.  It usually includes   protein, (chicken, lean pork chop) 4 oz.  and a carb which I eat last and many times cannot fini****  (Remember this is over 4 years post surgery.)  I didn't lose for about a year, then decided to try again to lose and that is where I am at now.  This weight loss stuff if forever.......at least it is for me.  You are never finished even when you meet goal. ( I never met my personal goal, but did meet my surgeon's goal)  Now I am working on my personal goal.  And striving for good health is very important to me.  I think snacks are important.  But they should be sensible and protein related.  My problem is I think I look good now, but I would like for my BMI to be slightly lower.   I have to be honest.....at times I eat more carbs that I should.  I am 10# from my personal goal.  I know this is rambling and for that I am sorry.  Oh I find if I add 1 TBSP of natural almond butter to my oatmeal, it adds protein and keeps me fuller longer.  Somedays I am hungrier than other days.  Those day, I try to add fruit or raw carrots, because I have trouble getting enough veggies.

SMR09
on 3/13/14 5:31 am

the word that was completed with *****was finish.  I wonder why that happened?

luvmypuggies
on 3/13/14 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing your story - it's nice to know others are in the same boat.  My starting numbers are very similar to yours - I'm a little over two months out but I only lost 6 lbs in month 2 (28 lbs total).  I think I'm doing everything "right", with exercise/protein/fairly low-carb/tracking food (800 cal), but the weight loss is going really slowly.  The only think I can think of, based on reading what the vets do, is that I should drink more water - I'm working hard (struggling) to get 60-80 oz daily but it sounds like many successful people drink more. 

I'm a bit discouraged because I'm wearing the same clothes and feel pretty much the same, but trying to keep my chin up and just keep at it, and try to convince myself that the weight can't possibly stay on permanently with this level of calories and exercise!   Good luck!

carrie054
on 3/13/14 10:48 am

I know how you feel.  I'm 6 weeks and 2 days out and lost 24 lbs pretty effortlessly in the first month.  Since then I've lost 3 pounds. My negative net calorie count on MFP is ridiculous--over 10k this week.  I have gone down one size, but I still have PLENTY of clothes in that size so it doesn't feel like much.  

So, I keep trying to tell myself that slow and steady wins the race.  I will not be a person who loses 100 lbs in 6 months.  It's great that others can lose more quickly and I'm happy for them--I just wish I could figure it out too.   

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

jameas
on 3/14/14 12:33 am

I am 9 months out went to just a few carbs more than normal and wow my body stopped! So i have had no loss for 2 months back on protein track but knee injury set back as well and being 59 metabolism SLOW so regrouping for correct exercis but i find so many reasons to NOT move mostly motivated by pain, so the battle cont and I MUST get it going forward! Keeping up the fight

Cindyb62
on 3/14/14 8:31 am

I am 9 months post. I'm 25# from my personal goal. I started pre surgery at 249. 232 at surgery. Now at 165. My lowest was at 162.8. I too am at a stall. I just moved up my calorie intake to 800 on my fitness pal this week but only hit it once. 700 seems to be my number. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. Bicycle, elliptical and arm strengthening. I too get frustrated. I've always heard the last 20-25 are the hardest. This is my first time bring remotely that close to goal. I try to remind myself I've done this far, don't get mad. I try to convince myself to take it one ounce at a time at this point one month at a time. Good luck to all of us! One ounce at a time! One day at a time!

Before Surgery:249 Surgery Weight:232 Goal Weight: 140or less! Surgery Date 6/7/13

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views