Protein bad?

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:16 am

I never took mu*****onsideration over the years about out animal protein intake and what it does to our heart and body. I never blinked an eye when i was headed for the RNY (which i backed out of and now thinking of the sleeve) and ate/drank as much protein as I was told too. Recently I have been watching A LOT of documentaries. I don't know, maybe for inspiration, such as "fat, sick, nearly dead", and like "forks over knifes" and a few others.  I came across a couple that were about in favor of more "Natural" eating, which is hard to do all the time i know. Vegetables, fruits, certain types of beans and well plant based foods. What got my interest and was wondering is they pointed out, REALLY well may i add, about protein, especially animal protein, and how bad it is in the long run for our hearts and other areas and why. They had some amazing proof about all this. I can not sit here and lay out every detail, but it was quite mind blowing and really made me sit and wonder about WLS in general and how that is the main goal for us after, to eat protein first and foremost. Is it POSSIBLE for us, after a couple years and we are settled a bit more with our new tummies, to actually be able to SURVIVE on other proteins that are not animal based, IF we decided it was important to do so? Would we sustain?

And I am WELL aware of the whole picture of being so obese what that is doing to me and how that will kill me off quicker than the two issues above. I have been sitting in misery for a very long time and i do know i need to do something. I also am aware of how I obviously have not made such drastic changes all along with my lifestyle, and it has gotten me no where. That I need to change something. SO please do not go into that part of it, that is why I am here. I am still battling inside on what I need to do to get back to living and have a lot of questions.

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

White Dove
on 3/14/14 2:24 am - Warren, OH

You don't ever need animal protein.  There are plenty of options to get your protein in without it. 

Find Dr Garth Davis on Facebook and probably on the computer and check out his views on protein after RNY.

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:25 am

AWESOME !!! I am glad to hear that

mickeymantle
on 3/14/14 2:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the problem health wise is not the eating of meat protein it is the fat in domesticated animals, if you ate wild animals you would not get most of these problems(deer, rabbit ,duck,seal, possum ) 

It would be very hard(but do able) to have wls and eat no animal protein 

our bodies are designed to eat meat, that is not the problem the problem is the crappy meat and the amount  of it we eat

ps the veggies we eat are no where near as healthy for us as the ones our grandparents ate

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:37 am

Oh absoutley the veggies and fruit now compared to them are so covered in so many chemicals it scares the crap out of me. I read up on that too. I personally do not think I could have WLS and not eat animal meat as well, I know nothing else. Unfortunately what has been driven from "hometown" and pushed into "mainstream" no matter what type of food, has become a health hazard. I just know with WLS we need more protein than if we did not have it. For life.

mickeymantle
on 3/14/14 2:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

im lucky many of the local farms here in Oregon grow the old fashion heritage fruits and veggies and grow them ether no spray or organic , also eggs and so cheese and milk , some meat can be gotten this way

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:52 am

That is truly awesome. I have some resources for that, but not enough and truly all states need to fall back into this way more than we have over the past 40 years. Everything is processed! Even still, i keep eating it up happily because it is addicting for that temporary high.

luvbskts
on 3/14/14 2:31 am

My personal opinion, as obese people, we get so desperate for "the answer" that we read and believe everything that's put in front of us. 

Living has to be a balance.  Some of us can handle animal protein and others can not.  You have to find what works for you....it might not be the same as what works for me. 

I, personally, couldn't handle getting my 60g of protein for beans and nuts.  I need meat.  I'm sure there are others that could do it with no problem. 

luvbskts
on 3/14/14 2:32 am

oops....from beans and nuts not for!

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:40 am

Yes, and answers on many levels. I tend to research all paths as much as I can. I do not want to be one to jump on a train without knowing something about it. Which is what made me think of all this.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views