Path to RNY changing to Sleeve

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 2:33 am, edited 3/14/14 2:41 am

When I was headed into surgery a little over 3 years ago, I was having RNY because my surgeons office did not offer anything else but the lapband. TECHNICALLY they JUST began to offer the sleeve, and it was scary and new to many including the insurance company. I backed out the day before my RNY surgery, something was screaming inside of me.

ANYHOW I was wondering, with the sleeve are you forbidden to ever have NSAIDS again, like the RNY? That was one small part of what I was afraid of, but I know the band is not going to help enough in the long run. Also, is the protein intake about the same for the sleeve as the RNY?

Any other tidbits or info would be great. I investigated the RNY for about 5 years and in extreme detail. The sleeve, I read up a little bit before, but it was not something I could consider. Now that it is, I want to learn as much as I can.

thanks in advance

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

grayC
on 3/14/14 3:02 am
VSG on 05/01/13

There are many differing opinions here on NSAIDs...

my Dr allows them, which is one of the many reasons I chose VSG.. 

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 3:06 am

Interesting, ok. I am working on scheduling the surgeon appointment and of course I know I need to ask him the million questions as well. AND I know he is the final say. My back issues are pretty critical and I seriously doubt I can go a lifetime without NSAIDS. It does play a big role in my surgery path.

Thanks

Tracy D.
on 3/14/14 3:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My doctor allows them on a limited basis.  If I had required a daily dose of NSAIDS for a chronic condition, he would not have recommended this surgery for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 3:26 am

That is what I am afraid of. I know that with weight loss, the pain would decrease and I may not need them as much. It is a double edge sword for me because I need a cage replacement. But I can not have that surgery until I am about 250-275 at most. Possibly after weight loss and back surgery i may not need them so much. But we will not know until we are there. I have so much to think about :) I already have pretty severe arthritis.

Tracy D.
on 3/14/14 3:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

All you can do is ask your doctor for his/her opinion.  Doctors definitely differ in their opinions on this subject! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

desertdancer
on 3/14/14 3:40 am

I will do so thank you :)

carrie054
on 3/14/14 3:30 am

I just asked about NSAIDs at my 6 week follow up Monday. The PA said absolutely not after any bariatric surgery.  I think this is not necessarily the case for the sleeve....but rules are rules. 

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

Tracy D.
on 3/14/14 3:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
desertdancer
on 3/14/14 3:40 am

This is interesting because i THOUGHT the reason for no NSAIDS is that with the RNY you have been rerouted and IF you get an ulcer it would require testing/surgery for removal etc....all to be done surgically  because we can not scope the stomach any longer. I would have thought with the sleeve, you COULD scope the stomach with equipment and not have to go through the tummy.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 229 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 304 views