Red Robin? WTF was I thinking? (pity party)

michellebrad
on 3/15/14 1:01 am - Eastlake, OH

Well... my nephew's birthday was yesterday and at 5pm, my sister called and told me they were all going to Red Robin to celebrate.  His party is on Sunday, but she wanted to do something special for him.  So anyway, I KNEW sitting there would be hard... but ugh.  I did prepare and had my 2oz of pureed chicken before we left.  However, sitting there watching everyone else eat juicy hamburgers and french fries, not to mention an appetizer of the best onion rings on the planet... it was SO hard.  I just sat there thinking... I will NEVER ever be able to eat this again.  EVER.  Everyone was celebrating and I just sat there, sipping water.  It was almost like I was mourning the loss of my friend... food.  I probably should have just stayed home, but I didn't want to miss my nephew's birthday, so I went.  I KNEW I wasn't hungry, it was all in my head... but it was SO difficult.  I didn't eat anything, just drooled. :)  However, I came home and had 2 SF popsicles.... then had 2 more a few hours later.  I think I was feeling sorry for myself and turned to the only thing I knew I could "eat".  :(  However, I am happy that I was able to resist everything there.  I knew I could do it, but I just wasn't prepared for the emotional battle.  The worst part was my mom, saying "oh you can just order something to drink, it's easy!"  She's on weigh****chers, and she was able to eat, and even stole a few french fries.... she HAD food.  I did not.  I'm on purees and there was NOTHING I could eat.  I felt so left out....

However, today, I know that I did the best possible.  It was my first time going to a restaurant since I had surgery.  I knew it was going to be hard.  But, I did it.  I prepared ahead of time, I did what I was supposed to do and... I still feel a little lousy about it.  However, I know that on Wednesday, I'll be switched to soft foods and I'll at least be able to "eat" something.

Anyway, if you've gotten this far...thanks for reading all about my pity party.  I think I just needed to get this out.  Thanks for reading. :)

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

SpideyMom
on 3/15/14 1:19 am

Congratulate yourself for getting through a very hard situation without caving in! I've had to do many parties and dinners out with nothing more than a couple sips of unsweetened ice tea. I found that if you join in the conversation as much as you can, you don't get questions about your non-eating and people are less likely to be looking at you sideways....and you yourself don't focus as much on the fact that you're just sitting there while everyone else is eating. You got through a very hard situation, and you should be very proud! Each time you have to do it again, it will be easier.

Hang in there!!

Ann

LapBand surgery May 2009; revision to VSG Jan. 2, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/14 1:22 am

You did great and ought to be proud of yourself.

Something to think about: Since it was so hard for you this first time, what plan will you have in place for the future when you can eat the things on the menu?

mollz007
on 3/15/14 1:29 am
VSG on 02/20/14

You did a great job! Red Robin would be a hard one because of the unlimited fries. And I used to LOVE the mozz sticks... yum! You should be proud of yourself. I know it's hard. Do you like French Onion soup? I know the RR near me has a good one, and you could just ask them to hold the bread. Eating out is a challenge, it takes time to get used to your new eating style. One of the things I constantly have to remind myself about is eating slowly and not drinking while I eat. And you will be able to eat fries someday... in moderation. This stage is temporary.

check out my blog!

MAchick
on 3/15/14 1:36 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Lady,  you did good. French fries are one of my weaknesses so I feel your pain. It's getting easier to watch others eat the things I used to eat,  but it's still a bit of a struggle. I know the food I do eat now is delicious,  so I try to focus on that. 

fran67
on 3/15/14 1:56 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I feel your pain!  I had to go to a bar mitzvah when I was still on mushies so I knew there would be nothing for me to eat there.  Also, I used to love to pig out during the ****tail hour and drink.  It was a hard day but I managed on jus****er and every event got easier after.  You did great and should be proud of yourself!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Nancybefree
on 3/15/14 2:35 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I am so proud of you!  BTDT drinking unsweetened iced tea whilst those around me at the table ate all sorts of stuff.  It actually empowered me rather than making me feel left out, but that's just me.  I remembered that eating that stuff made me so huge that I needed WLS to break free of my self-made prison of fat. 

That same thinking is what made me put back the frozen pot pie at the grocery store today after reading the nutritional () label.  I was craving a pot pie until I read that label!

If you stay your course you will continue to get stronger.  There is a distinct pleasure in living in more of a normal size, and a world of ability opens up for us when we do our necessary self-care and lose that weight.  I so want you to enjoy that! 

Keep up the great work!  No disrespect intended, but take good care of yourself and leave your Weigh****chin' mama to her cheats as you roar toward health and discovery.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

frisco
on 3/15/14 5:19 am

You did great !

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way.......

I promise you that after you have lost the weight, learned what's up and can maintain....... most all foods can be worked into a program.

Drives me absolutely bonkers when I read people saying that they had this surgery so they can eat anything, just in smaller quantities..... and they haven't lost the weight yet....

or, "I'm not gonna stop living" ummmm that's the little head telling you eating fried chicken and cupcakes is living.......

It takes about 6 months to establish new normals..... than it's a lot easier. The key is to develop strong new normals that won't fade.... people who adopt the lax approach tend not to develop a strong follow through..... and it's all about the follow through.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Nmmsg
on 3/15/14 5:45 am
VSG on 07/09/13

First let me say you did great.  I was at RR today.  I am 8 months out and can eay anything.  I had a small hamburger with lettuce and tomato. I ate it without eating the bun.  I don't usually eat bread anymore. I tasted the bun - no great flavor and had a French fry.  Neither was worth eating - you will feel better and certainly be happier just eating what makes you feel good.      Something you will learn if it does not really taste good to you - do not eat it.  Many things we blindly eat and never realize , they are just not that good.  Whatever you put in your mouth, make sure it is worth it.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

56sunShine14
on 3/15/14 9:07 am

I am glad I read that far because I couldn't understand why you couldn't order of cup of their black bean chili - high protein.  then I read the rest and answered my question.

You did great!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views