One Year Surgerversary Long Post w/pics

Rms928
on 3/18/14 11:40 am
VSG on 03/20/13

March 20th will be one year since the day I started my new life.  This has been a year of rebirth and discovery for me. It has been the most rewarding year of my life. 

As with most of us who've struggled with a weight problem, I suffered for nearly 60 years all the problems associated with obesity.  As a kid I was bullied and ridiculed.  As the years went on I developed health problems and terrible joint pain.  I could always see the stares when I walked into a restaurant.  And the worst, shopping for clothes at the big and tall store.

I fought for over 5 years to have weight loss surgery and on March 20, 2013, after gathering up the money (yes, I am a self payer) I had my surgery with Dr. Wai Yip Chau in Princeton, NJ.  I was scared and somewhat sceptical but I came through surgery with no complications and embraced my new way of life.

I followed my surgeon's and nuts direction to a tee.  After a month I started walking.  I couldn't go 100 yards without sitting down to rest but I kept walking.  Everyday I would walk at lunch and eat my measured meals.  Soon, I was walking a half mile, then a mile, then two and now I walk over three miles everyday at lunch, rain or shine, cold or hot.  I also bicycle almost everyday.  It's still cold here in New Jersey so I use my exercise bike but, I do it everyday at least 45 mins.  I can't wait to get back on the road bike.

In the beginning, I set my calorie goals at 800/day.  I tried to get 80 gr of protein and less than 40 gr of carbs.  Before I knew it I had lost 25lbs, then 50lbs and now, one year past, Ive lost 145lbs. and I'm the healthiest  I've ever been.  I've since increased my caloric intake to between 1200-1500 a day.  I'm about 15lbs from my personal goal but I'm not so concerned if I don't get there.  I'm pretty happy with my body image now.

Before the surgery, I was on medication for high colesteral and hypertension.  I used a CPAP machine and couldn't stand for more than 10 or 15 minutes because of arthritis pain in my hips and knees.  Today, I am off all but one blood pressure med, I don't need the CPAP and can stand all day.

I've learned to use this wonderful tool.  Yes, there are times I go back to old habits and eat the wrong things or drink too much.  My restriction is still quite good and if I gain a couple of pounds I just go back to basics and stick with dense lean protein and fresh veggies.  I fill up quickly and that, along with steady exercise, seems to knock the excess pounds off fairly quick.

I love shopping for clothes now and since I travel alot for work, airplanes are now my freind and not something to fear.  I even tried on a new Corvette for size.  It fit real nice but my wallet is way too small.

I now start the second year of my new life with renewed hope and a much happier outlook.  A year ago I was wondering if I would live another 5 years.  Now, I feel as though I'm going well past 100.  This has been the best thing I ever did for me and my family. 

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

lisaglasgow
on 3/18/14 12:14 pm - OH
VSG on 04/03/14

Yahoo. Wayto go... keepgoing 

Lisa

Miss150
on 3/18/14 12:18 pm

Well done, you.  Health- ain't it grand?  Enjoy.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

DeeNY52
on 3/18/14 12:34 pm

Hooray for you!  I'm in my sixties, too, and so glad this tool is available now.  All those years of being too fat and having back pain are slowly melting away.  It's great to read posts from people who have lost a lot and kept it off.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Dee

Kelly Jean
on 3/18/14 12:51 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

im having my surgery in 2weeks.... your story was a wonderful inspiration ... thank you...and best of luck....

frisco
on 3/18/14 1:48 pm

Great post.... loved reading it !!!!

Great work !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

skeller
on 3/18/14 1:55 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Loved reading this so much. Thanks for sharing it!

goddessgrrl
on 3/18/14 1:58 pm - VA

I'm with you on the Corvette thing! =] Great work! Congratulations.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/18/14 2:08 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You are living the life I hope to when I reach on year out of surgery.  Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing your story 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/18/14 2:13 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

You totally rocked that sleeve! Too funny about the Corvette   It's amazing what a year and a sleeve and hard work can do..what an inspirational post!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views