Water - 13 days post-op

civilmomma
on 3/19/14 4:47 am, edited 3/19/14 4:50 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I am 13 days post op, healing well, losing nicely, 3rd day back at work...I am on full liquids including yogurt, thin cream of wheat made with milk, protein drinks, milk, SF clear liquids, and strained soup.  I am drinking enough to not be dehydrated, but I am not well hydrated either.

I have a schedule from the NUT and I just can't keep up with the water and milk guidelines.  I should be at 34oz by 2pm (24 water, 10 milk/protein shake) and I have only managed to get in about 20oz of water.  (daily total should be 48 water, 30 milk/shake)

I feel like I am floating.

I had my 2Tbsp greek yogurt at 7am and 2Tbsp of cream of wheat made with milk at noon - plus 20oz of water today and I feel so full.

I have my phone alarm set to remind me to pour another 8oz of water and I cringe when it goes off b/c I am so behind.  Every sip just sits there...I feel it go down, then it just sits.  I am full.

I feel fine, pee is not dark, no vomit - just FULL!

Should I call the doc, or is this just a normal part of the healing/early stages? 

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

The_True_KayD
on 3/19/14 5:25 am

I struggled with my water for the first couple of months. I found that once I switched to full foods I was able to create a schedule and I am meeting/exceeding my water goals. Your stomach still has some swelling. Just keep focused on the water and you will find that it will happen. Be patient with yourself. You are doing things right. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

alykat1116
on 3/19/14 6:49 am - NV

I feel the exact same way! I couldn't have described it better myself. I am getting about 32 oz a day right now and Im sopossed to be getting in at least 48 at this point. I have my post-op appt tomorrow and Im going to ask my doctor about it.

I don't have any suggestions for you, just wanted to share in your troubles...

Height: 5' 2''     HW: 310     SW: 273    CW: 239 (03/21/16)    VSG was on 03/10/2014  

mmmesser
on 3/19/14 9:30 am

Just keep plugging away...it will get easier once your tummy is not so swollen.  Get your fluids, protein, and vitamins in as priority then any other additions.  You might want to try decaf tea or some sort of sugar free water enhancer to make it easier.  Also, I've learned that I can not tolerate hot liquids.  You might find that to be true for you or just the opposite.  Good luck.

Jiliana2
on 3/19/14 11:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I just wanted to ask about the temperature or flavour of your water. You say that every sip just sits there. 

I've read on these forums that a lot of people have trouble with cold or cool water after surgery. Maybe room temp water or even warm or ho****er with a little lemon would do the trick? What about a hot cup of decaf tea or herbal tea? Does that sit in your sleeve the same way?

Alternatively, I've also read that a lot of people have trouble with unflavoured water after surgery. I'm in this boat myself. If the water doesn't have flavouring (Mio, Crystal Light, Dasani, Nesfruta) then I just can't do it. For some reason, the flavours make it easy on my sleeve. I don't know if that will change. But for now, I'll make do.

Do you think one of these two ideas might help you out?

Oh, and the other thing I do is add extra milk/water to my protein powder. I don't like the protein powder shakes 'thick'. It says to add one scoop per 8 oz or cup or something? I'm doing just over 2 cups of fluid. I take 1 cup of 1% milk, 1 scoop of protein powder, and fill to the 2 cup mark with ice cubes and water before blending. This gives me two full cups of fluid. Those count as liquids and seeing as I do that every morning for breakfast on my 45-min drive to the office, that's a great start for me and gives me 30-something grams of protein to boot!

Just a couple of ideas. I hope you find something that works for you!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views