Lost

AngloAm
on 3/24/14 1:50 am

I have my date for the surgery (21 May) and I'm feeling so overwhelmed suddenly. I got a big thick packet in the mail telling me I have to start TODAY with two protein shakes and a meal, I have to get my chest X-ray redone, and another EKG, and more blood work, and get some sort of special soap and mouthwash, and learn to inject myself with some sort of drug to stop clotting, and figure out a good protein shake, and how to conserve my sick leave, and and and. I just feel so overwhelmed and rushed and stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me break this into manageable chunks? I feel so lost and panicky.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

danixbanani
on 3/24/14 1:58 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Take a deep breath!  You can do this!

Start with the diet plan right away.  Schedule your appointments for the testing, next.  If it is easier for you to do more than 1 test in a day, go for it so you can get them out of the way.  If not, try to plan them two days a part or something like that.

I have never found a protein shake that I like but many websites and nutrition shops offer sample packets for either free or very cheap.  Try to find some of these samples and order them up to try and find what will work for you.  The popular protein shakes on OH seem to be from Chike, Syntrax, Isopure, and Unjury.  You can usually buy RTD (ready to drink) protein shakes almost anywhere these days.  You will find what works for you.  It's not a race so don't worry about feeling rushed.  Your tastes will likely change post-op anyway.

As for the special soap and mouthwash, did they tell you what specifically to buy?  Just order 'em...you can find almost anything on Amazon.  As for injecting yourself with the anti clotting stuff, try to schedule that in with your appointments for testing.

Don't feel lost or panicky!  You have support and just try to take it one step at a time.  Good luck!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

AngloAm
on 3/25/14 3:23 am

danixbanani -- Thank you. I have tried EAS Premier Protein (with ice, water, and a bit of sugar free peanut butter syrup) and it was really good, and the Premium Protein RTD shakes in the little boxes which are good too. I have been having one of them instead of breakfast for years now. I also got a starter/sample pack of Unjury with two sachets of each of their flavours I'm going to try next.

They did say what to get--I just didn't know that you can get them pretty much anywhere with a pharmacy. So that'll be easier. Oooo the injections -- well, all I can say is that they look better than a blood clot. Which is significant.

Thanks for your kind words - I feel a lot better.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/14 2:01 am - AZ

it can be overwhelming... so just take it one step at a time. If it takes time to get an appt for the blood work, ekg or x-ray, start there or even your leave time, since you have a date now... then move on down the list.. you can do it! Good Luck

p.s. I had to do blood thinner injections as well... it's not as bad as you would think. just push slow or it can sting a little... the soap can be found at walmart for about $5 IF its the Hibiclense (sp)

ask the surgeon office if they have a list of approved protein shakes.. I actually bought mine from the office.

Hope that helps a little : )

AngloAm
on 3/25/14 3:27 am

It's probably a matter of making that list!

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/14 2:04 am - Canada

Okay first....breathe!

You have almost two months and you don't have to do it all today.  If they didn't tell you what kind of protein shakes to use then go to either Costco/Sam's Club and get the Premier Protein shakes.  They have a good amount of protein and are often recommended on here.  You can also go to GNC if you have one and get the Oh Yeah! shakes.  More variety of flavors and higher protein content.  That's all you have to do today!

Not sure how your medical system works but next week book a day off and go get all your tests done.  Take a sick day.

You won't need the soap and mouthwash until just before your surgery and you can pick that up in the next few weeks.  

You also won't need to give yourself the injections until after surgery (probably) and will probably need to make an appointment for that.  Set your phone to remind you to do that next Monday.

Conserve your sick leave by not taking any more days then you have to.  If you have Short Term Disability then go talk to your HR person...she will tell you exactly how to handle it.  

You have lots of time to do all this stuff.  The only thing you need to do now is get the protein shakes and that's just one store.  You'll need 14 shakes for each week so don't under buy.  You don't want to be going back every few days.  For your first week, you might want to buy a variety of brands to see what you like but if you just plan on choking them back then just go for it lol.

Are you living with a significant other?  If so then sit down and have a talk about evening meals.  You want to try and get used to eating protein first and add in a veggie.  Stay away from starches.  It will help you later after the surgery.

Lots of help, support and advice here...don't be afraid to ask and ask again.

AngloAm
on 3/25/14 3:32 am

Thank you so much - I've got the Premier Proteins and they're good (if chilled!). I also got some isopure which looks more like water - costs an arm and a leg but I wonder if I'll be able to use it for hydration and protein.

Thanks for all this - I feel so much better and have already scheduled a few of the tests and the rest.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/14 3:58 am

If you are pressed for time during the day I used pre-made shakes.I like Premier Protein. If you have a Vitamin Store sells single servings of shakes and you can try them before you buy a ton.I wouldn't buy a ton just in case your tastes change.The isopure is good to use after the surgery it really doesn't fill you up.

It is very overwhelming just take one thing at a time.Make a list and cross things off as you go.Every day make a list and cross things off that you have to do. I also went and bought a scale to measure my food and measuring cups so when I got home I was ready. It will all work out.

Jackie T.
on 3/24/14 4:49 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You have been given good advice above.  I am excited for you!  Don't look at these things as a negative, look at them as postive.  You are about to embark on a journey to find a healthier you!  You have got this, just take it one step at a time and follow what your doctors say even if you don't want to.  Also do not feel afraid to contact your doctor's office and let them know how overwhelmed you are and usually they will help you and/or give you additional assistance.

You are going to do great!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

AngloAm
on 3/25/14 3:33 am

Huh, I hadn't thought of telling them - I normally try to appear put together and efficient and all. Ha!

Thanks for the encouragement - it really does mean a lot. I want to be as useful to others soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views