antacids, PPIs, and H2 receptor blockers

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/27/14 5:11 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I was interested in hearing what other people are going about GED/heartburn after surgery.    I've noticed that when my head hunger is worst it's consistent with my having heartburn.  I don't know if it's a causative effect, but I think it's an easy enough variable to remove from analysis.  

Currently I'm on Zantac / Ranitidine  OTC 150mg x twice daily.  It's an H2 blocker that I understand is at the low end of the scale.  I've been on it for about 15 or so years.  I understand that PPIs will be better for this however.  

I know I need to do something though- I can't keep popping antacids all day AND take the Zantac.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 5:18 am - Canada

Go to your doctor and get a prescription strength PPI.  Acid mimics hunger and eventually you will be able to get that food in :|

You also don't need that level of acid in your new tummy.  I have struggled to find the right PPI...I just started Nexium yesterday.  It's my third and hopefully it's the one.  The last thing you need is stomach erosion or ulcers :(

linzeelee
on 3/27/14 5:20 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I am interested in seeing others' replies to this.

I started on Prilosec post-op. Had to bump it up to twice day because I was getting gurgling and a lot of hunger pains. I started taking a Gaviscon tablet in the afternoon on the advice of my doctor. Then I switched to Prevacid and that seemed to work better than Prilosec. Continued with that routine for quite awhile.

Then a couple months ago I decided I wanted to get off of PPIs. I don't think it's ideal to take them forever. So I switched to Pepcid twice a day, with a couple Gaviscon tablets spread during the day. After about a month or so, I realized that wasn't cutting it. So I picked up some Prevacid and am now taking one of those a day, and one Pepcid, and if I get any symptoms I have a Tums or two. Tums seems to work better than Gaviscon. I am thinking I can cut it back to a Prevacid every other day or so. We'll see.

So clearly, I don't have the answer to your dilemma, but this has been my acid remedy story so far.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

krabbyhermit
on 3/27/14 5:30 am

I, too, have taken meds for over 15 years for GERD even tho I had had surgery to correct it. I have run the gamut but found a few that really worked.

Aciphex is good, but costly. Some insurances will not cover it.

I currently take Dexilant (started as Kapidex). I'm only 5 weeks post op tho, and not sure how well it's doing. I'm mainly taking otc omeprazole as the Dexilant capsules are wreaking havoc on my stomach (stuck feeling). I'm going to have a scope tho to see if I have a stricture. 

Good luck to you. GERD really is horrible to live with. Hopefully it will get better with time and we won't need these meds. 

Nancy

In all my days ahead I vow to be kind to myself. This shall also be a new and exciting experience. 

Kathy8429
on 3/27/14 5:41 am

Protonix 40 mg twice a day and a shot of liquid gaviscon as needed. I'm currently almost 7 months out. I have cut back to 1 a day a couple of times but if I start to get that old hungry feeling I bump it back up

pharmagirl_45
on 3/27/14 6:00 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I was on the same thing right after surgery and it did not work.  When I went for my 2 week appt. my surgeon changed it Nexium and that has made a world of difference.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Cunning_Pam
on 3/27/14 6:24 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Hey, surgibuddy. Dr. Snow put me on 40mg of Protonix a day when my first EGD showed some irritation, and it's worked like a charm. Now I know I'm a pouchy and you're a sleever, but I'd definitely ask about getting a prescription for a PPI to help out.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/27/14 6:26 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey Pam!  Yeah, I called in and he wants to see me next week.  Got called to the principal's office I guess.  

I haven't had another scope since surgery, in fact I had a swallow test in February but that's it.  I juts keep noticing it's getting bad and it's time to deal with it before I start doing something dumb with my mouth. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/27/14 6:28 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I tried OTC generic Prilosec and bumped it up to 40mg and I still had that acid/hunger. I was trying to save money LOL 

I'm back on prescription strength generic Prilosec 20mg daily and it works great 

Menchi
on 3/27/14 6:50 am
VSG on 09/11/13

I am on Dexilant now, most people swear by it but looking at the long term side effects I really don't want to be on it long.  Also the pocket book side effects.  Was anyone able to stop taking this type of medicine after losing the weight.  I really don't want osteoporosis before I am 40.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views