Traveling really sucks for your diet

sanjali23
on 3/30/14 2:21 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Well I was out of town for the last 5 days and let me tell you it wreaked havoc on my diet. I'm still early out so I can't eat much of anything even if I wanted to but the strict schedule that I have come accustomed to was out the door. I know I never made my food or protein goals any day that I was there. To make matters worse, I was in Texas and everything is bigger in Texas including the portion sizes on the food so it killed me to waste all that food. My hotel room did not have a fridge/microwave standard so couldn't save anything for another day. My problem has always been that if I don't plan my diet accordingly I will only have 300 calories a day which displeases my bariatrician to no end and guess what there were days where all I had was about 3 oz of lean ham and a bottle of water...So glad that I am home and back on the ball. Great thing is that although I felt out of control it was not in the wrong direction of 5000 plus calories :-)

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

TexasTerritory
on 3/30/14 2:38 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Funny, I traveled from Texas to Florida and I agree about traveling affecting the routine! I will fly back to Texas Monday. Eager to be back on my boring routine. I have tracked my foods and water. But I did go off-plan twice. Poor choice on my part. I have been on track yesterday and today.

Scorpio98
on 3/30/14 3:10 am

When I was in the pre-op phase and I had to travel, I found these single serving size pouches of protein powder at CVS.  I packed those and it helped me get my protein shakes in when I was traveling.  I did pack a few shakes in my suitcase and found they didn't taste so great at room temperature.

Luvs2Cruise
on 3/30/14 7:31 am
VSG on 10/30/13

In the situation of unchilled RTD shakes, I grab some ice and put it in a glass, cup, whatever is handy in the hotel room or conference hall.  I then pour my RTD shake over the ice to chill it.  Just because it is in a "grab and go" container, doesn't mean it has to stay in there if you weren't able to keep it chilled.  :) 

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

LosingSarah
on 3/30/14 3:19 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Traveling for me is always bad. Even if it's a day trip to my parents or in-law's house. It's not always terrible, but it's never as planned.

I agree, too, about the not loving the out of control feeling, but glad that it's not out of control in a pre-op kind of way!

Luvs2Cruise
on 3/30/14 5:48 am, edited 3/30/14 7:26 am
VSG on 10/30/13

When I travel. which is frequently, I always bring packets of Syntrax Nectar Protein powder, packets of tuna, and water bottles.  I also have a small thermal insulated bag ( bit bigger than a Thirty-One lunch bag) that I can fold up and take along for rooms that don't have fridges.  That way, if I run into a situation where meals aren't in my best interest, I still stay on plan and I am alway****ting protein goals.  And I can keep an evenings leftover tucked in the thermal bag filled with ice.   As far as not having a microwave in the room, I have hiked my backside down to the "front desk" and asked where there is a microwave on site because of medical needs.  I have always been given access to a microwave in some area of the hotel to heat up food.    I've managed to stay on plan 100%  of the time (ie; hitting protein goals/fluid goals) whether I am at home or traveling. 

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

sillymilly
on 3/30/14 6:59 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I agree with the idea to bring along protein, whether powder, packets of tuna, or bars.  Another thing that might come in handy - some people have gotten letters/cards from their doctor to show at restaurants saying that they can only eat small portions due to a medical condition, please allow them to order off the children's or senior's menu.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

mustlovepoodles
on 3/30/14 10:58 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Ugh. I know what you mean. I had a recent business trip where I was gone for 7 days.  I managed to stay fairly close to the diet most of the time.  We did eat out pretty much every day and I mostly kept to fish or shrimp. My DH was with me and we split entrees usually. Since we had a fridge and a microwave I was able to keep the leftovers.  My weight loss has slowed down this month but it maybe it's to be expected.  I lost 21-lbs prior to surgery and I've lost an additional 35 since Jan 1. So, that's over 50% of my total goal. I guess the weight loss is going to slow down now. My doctor's goal is only about 13-lbs away, but I will not be satisfied with that.  My cap is set for the full 100-lbs, which is about 44-lbs away.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 352 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 401 views