TMI?

hannahp
on 3/31/14 2:22 am - MS

Hi!

I am so sorry to say that I have not been around this board like I should. I used it extensively to research before my journey for WLS and in the few weeks leading up to my surgery and after it was the most helpful thing... I was so thankful for it.

I had surgery and everything was fine... I was loosing my weight... feeling good... no problems... and I drifted away!  More of a time thing I guess... got a new job... moving up... 

I'm having some problems now, though, and I wondered if anyone experienced the same thing. I have hemorrhoids on an anal fissure or SOMETHING? I've always struggled with constipation and going to the bathroom like I should even before surgery... Anyway, about 3 weeks ago this awful pain started when I would go to the bathroom. Pain I've never felt before... It hurt SO bad... I all but passed out from the pain. A good amount of bleeding too. Now, it hasn't been THAT painful since but it's still very very painful and still bleeding. I'm not constipated by any means bc I am trying to take so much fiber, stool softeners, etc... anything to help with the pain. I've called my doctor who wanted to send me to a GI... I've been waiting for an appointment to open up and finally have an appointment on Thursday. 

I don't know what is going on or if it is even something WLS related... but I know constipation and hemorrhoids can be a cause... just wanting feedback if anyone has any to give!! 

Hope I'm not just rambling!

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Lisa J.
on 3/31/14 2:41 am - OK

What color is the blood? Bright red? Or dark like coffee? Makes a HUGE difference. I suppose you could have multiple hemorrhoids that all just happened to burst at once....how many days has it been bleeding, and how much? Fresh red blood is usually hemmi's. I would hope your doctor plans to do a simple rectal inspection and only sends you forward to a GI if it's necessary. Glad to hear you're getting in this week.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
hannahp
on 3/31/14 2:57 am - MS

Bright... not dark that I hav noticed. 

It's been bleeding for about 3 weeks now. Doctor sent me to GI doctor without even seeing me after I told him my symptoms bc he said I would probably need a lower GI done... 

Who knows.  

Hannah, 25

Scott S.
on 3/31/14 2:42 am - TX

Have you tried Miralax at all? That worked pretty well for me back then and is pretty gentle.  

VSG: 8/8/13 

hannahp
on 3/31/14 2:57 am - MS

I have! Helps me go easily... and it's def not as painful... but instead it is a burning sensation? 

Hannah, 25

Scott S.
on 3/31/14 4:14 am - TX

Yikes!  That may be the Hemmorhoids.

What did your doc or nurse say?

VSG: 8/8/13 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/31/14 2:54 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

If the blood is bright red then it's likely hemorrhoids and can be addressed with pretty simple means.  They may need surgery, but that's not a guarantee. if the blood is dark, granular, or copious, you need to get in to see someone ASAP. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

hannahp
on 3/31/14 2:58 am - MS

Thanks for your reply - it's bright red so I guess that is good, ha.

I've been trying everything OTC I have read that helps... Witch hazel is the best thing I've found.

Hannah, 25

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/31/14 4:00 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I recently read this thread that might also help.  

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

kerry B.
on 3/31/14 12:00 pm
VSG on 11/04/13

What you describe sounds like an anal fissure which is a tear in the skin of the anal sphincter.  Once you have one it does not matter what the consistency of your stool is.  It will remain painful until it heals which takes forever because it reopened with every BM. I have had several bouts and the pain was unbearable with even more pain several hours later with throbbing and stabbing pain.  I was becoming depressed and cried all the time and even started pulling away from people and getting snippy with everyone.

I did not end up going to the doctor about it (mostly due to embarrassment, which is silly I know considering how much pain I was in). I tried multiple topical pain medications with higher percentage of knumbing agents and NSAIDs working the best.  I also added Metamucil multigrain wafers and additional fat to my diet.  By the way, for me, Miralax was the WORST thing I did.  The pain I had after I took Miralax was the worst I have ever had due to the "explosive" results.

Mine lasted for over a month (yes I had bleeding with every BM as well). Once my stool was the right consistency and I forced myself to follow the rules (don't strain, breathe, go when you have to go, soaking with warm water, and keeping up with the wafers and added fat) I finally got it under control.  I have been doing pretty well for several months now but I am always waiting for the next one to happen.

it is likely it could have been managed faster if I went to the doctor.....

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views