2-Stage Surgery starting w/ VSG - Anyone done this?

bethesameuntil
on 4/1/14 2:33 am

Hey people. My name is Sean. I'm going to be having a 2-stage surgery. I'm a high risk patient with a high starting weight. I'm 608 as of last Thursday. The highest I've been was 680. Anyways, I've got my VSG scheduled for May 13th. And then, a year after that, it'll get converted to either an RNY or a DS. I'm just wondering if anyone else here has done a 2-stage surgery like this and what their experience was like.

FWIW, I'll be documenting my process on my youtube channel (link in sig).

Tracy D.
on 4/1/14 2:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Best of luck to you, Sean!  I wasn't a two-stager but I know there are people who have done it that way.  Most of the people on this forum seem to have only had the sleeve part though.  

Maybe you'll get more feedback by posting on the "Body Mass Index Over 50" forum?  Worth a try...  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

KevinBacon
on 4/1/14 2:50 am
VSG on 03/10/14

That's actually how this surgery came about as a stand alone in the first place. Originally it was always a 2 stage operation, but people were coming back after the first stage (VSG) with so much success that they didn't want/need the DS. 

Good luck in your new adventure! 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/1/14 3:29 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I just wanted to add yes the sleeve was the first part of the DS. I think they do the DS in one operation now unless you are SMO such as your self. Maybe if you post this on the DS board you may find some people who had the two part done.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/1/14 4:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Best of luck to you Sean! And kudos for making this step for your health and life! Definitely post on the DS forum. I am sure you will get lots of input, ideas, advice. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

frisco
on 4/1/14 5:33 am, edited 4/1/14 5:33 am

You should contact Jimbovsg..... he was 580lbs. and lost 350lbs.

I watched him do it as his surgery date was similar to mine and we are in the same program.

He has some views and strategies for the SSMO.

He has done well with VSG only, working with a surgeon that has experience working with Super Heavies and does VSG and DS. 

frisco

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4647118/Maintaining-3 40-lbs-loss-4-yrs-out-with-pics/

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bulldog76ss
on 4/1/14 5:54 am - OH

Hi Sean,  I didn't have the 2 stage but was high risk.  My highest was 561 and surgery weight was at 511.  Had diabetes, high blood pressure, on insulin, neuopothy in both feet....the whole mess.  It was life or death for me.  I am currently 5 months post and at 408.  No more insulin, pressure good and moving better than I have for years.  The RNY procedure saved my life.  Hang in there, its work but worth it.  Good Luck!!

Tenacious88
on 4/1/14 6:38 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Sean I would do the sleeve and wait to see how that works out for you, before doing another surgery, maybe all you need a good sleeve job. Wishing you the best.

God Bless.

88 Lou    VSG Feb 5, 2014   SW 255   Down 49 pounds     Goal 150

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

honorable3161
on 4/1/14 7:04 am - Stone Mountain, GA
VSG on 09/08/14

Hi Sean Im also Going to have the VSG My fist appt. is tomorrow with my surgeon... my weight is 475 my highest is my current weight I didn't know you could have the 2 part even though Im not interested in the 2 part but I will be following you on your journey I dont believe in luck so I say God speed on your journey......

happyteacher
on 4/1/14 7:37 am

Hi Sean,

There is a DS forum and an Rny forum, so you will loikely find folks there.  Here we have the Vsg- and it is a mighty powerful tool!  I think you will be very happy with just how far that it can take you.  Welcome aboard and good luck in your journey!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views