6 month report

cindylou59
on 4/2/14 11:51 am

I had my surgery Oct 1 2013. It has definitely been a journey! I can proudly say I am 72 pounds less today than I was on the day of my surgery!

The greatest challenge has been eating enough protein and of course the exercise!

I am a researcher, so I had read everything I could get my hands on before my surgery.  I was prepared to have this regimented meal plan. Then reality set in! I do not cook a lot just because of the time involved. I know this is not a good thing, but it is real life.  I have made an effort to cook 3 - 4 times a week, then I eat left overs. 

My husband and I eat out often. I have learned my limit is 4 - 6 bites. I don't eat any bread and really have no craving for it. If there is a desert I may eat one bite.  It has become comical. The manager has come to our terrible numerous times because he/she thinks there is something wrong with my food because I only eat a few bits.  I just tell them I have stomach issues and can only eat a small portion. I always take home the leftovers. In fact I usually ask the waiter to bring a to go plate when they bring my meal.

I do not eat processed foods. I am an "all natural" food person. Which is difficult by itself and is even more difficult after VSG. I will not eat anything with artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup. Artificial sweeteners WILL cause you to retain fluid and causes a long list of other issues. And I don't even want to go into HFCS.

I eat a lot of fruit and drink diluted fruit juices.  I no longer drink carbonated beverages. I am tempted, but I just don't.  I stopped this before my surgery and haven't went back. When I am in a restaurant, I just order water with lemon and drink a few sips.  At home, I may drink a diluted lemonade or unsweetened tea. If I do sweeten anything, it is with cane syrup (that we make on our farm) or honey. I only use a small amount. It is much better for me than the artificial sweeteners and HFCS.

I actually got into an argument with a nurse at the hospital when I was in my room post-op. They tried to give me cranberry juice fruit ****tail, which taste a little like cranberry juice, but it is LOADED with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Everything they tried to give me was a sugary sweet drink. Gatorade and Power Aid were the worst. Loaded with harmful food coloring and dyes.  I sent my husband to the store and he brought me some 100% cranberry juice.

It takes me quite a while to go to the grocery store. I read labels on EVERYTHING! You will be amazed at the products that contain HFCS. Catsup, Ritz crackers, almost all cereals, etc. I was surprised and disappointed. If a label has more than 2 ingredients I do not recognize or cannot pronounce, more than likely it is something harmful. I have learned to stay on the perimeter of the store. This is where you find the products that are unprocessed. It does require you to go to the store a little more often, but it is worth it.  I can tell a big difference in my health. If I eat something that is processed (by accident) it doesn't stay in my system for long, if you know what I mean!

It was much easier to give up "cokes and candy bars" than I anticipated.

My husband had surgery in May 2013, which is what encouraged me to go ahead and take the leap. He did ok for a few months. He lost about 40 pounds. However, he is now eating as much as he did before his surgery. He won't eat one bite of a doughnut. He has to eat 3 donuts. When we go to dinner, he orders and appetizer, salad, and entrée and sometimes desert. He gets angry with me because I won't do the same and won't eat more than 6 bites.  He was addicted to diet Mt. Dew before his surgery. He has reverted by to drinking 3 - 4 a day.  I try to be encouraging, but that just makes him angry. It is a problem, especially now that I am having a lot of success. All of his good friends and co-workers expressed that they did not think he would make the lifestyle change. I was skeptical, however he promised he would. He just has not embraced a healthy lifestyle.  I am still hopeful.

Overall, it is the best think I have ever done for myself. I know it has extended my life.

Do I do everything by the book? Nope. However, I do try to eat healthy.

Having VSG is major surgery. I did not go through all of this to revert to my old eating habits.

KevinBacon
on 4/2/14 11:56 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I can't imagine how hard that is for you. It hard enough having an unsupportive spouse but adding in the fact that he is also newly sleeved is pretty disheartening. Good for you for staying on plan!! SERIOUSLY. Good for you!!! I wish you the best!!!

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Gwen M.
on 4/2/14 11:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Great post!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  

I've got fructose malabsorption which means HFCS (and some other stuff) makes me SUPER ill.  It astounds me all of the stuff it's in!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cindylou59
on 4/2/14 12:13 pm

I know. The one thing that has been a little discouraging with the medical professionals is how they push, push, push products with artificial sweeteners. It is worse for a person than sugar.

You have to find the products you can tolerate.

sleevemama
on 4/2/14 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/30/13

Congratulations on your weightloss!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question