New Member, Many Thoughts and Questions

feels_so_good
on 4/3/14 8:37 am
VSG on 05/20/14

Welcome, lots of great resources here that I hope you will find as helpful and reassuring as I have. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Jordan B.
on 4/3/14 8:55 am

Welcome!

I just finished my 6 month program and have scheduled my surgery. Those months will fly by-so just do your requirements and you will be ready in no time. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/14 9:16 am
VSG on 03/04/14 with

Welcome. I went through my six month supervised diet, and had surgery one month ago. I have to say, it couldn't be going more smoothly so far.

weese
on 4/3/14 9:35 am
VSG on 02/26/14

Welcome! I'm five weeks out. I use this forum as a replacement for my support group. Everyone is supportive and I feel I receive intelligent information here. My support group through the hospital... not so much! Besides I can log in any time for support instead of once a month.I hope you find this is a great place!

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/14 12:06 pm

Hey, and welcome!

I was just a bit older than you when I went in for my sleeve. I was 47 - just a two months shy of 48. It sounds to me as if you are on a very good track and that your program is geared to offer solid preparation of post op life, which will be extremely helpful once you have been "sleeved".

A lot of people, both men and women, use their size as an emotional safeguard. You are not alone in that. I remember in my twenties losing a mere 30 pounds which made me very thin, but not being able to handle the attention being so fit brought. Within a year I had gained it all back. I felt like crap about the weight gain, but I wasn't having to deal with unwanted attention any longer. I was just ill equipped and ill prepared to deal with such overt sexual attention. Now at 50, I don't give a flying J squirrel. Bring it on! LOL!

You will find a lot of helpful information here and a lot of support from people from similar situations as yourself. I have a wonderful circle of VSG support friends because of this site.

If you need anything, feel free to PM (personal message) me.

michellebrad
on 4/3/14 1:49 pm - Eastlake, OH

I know how you feel.  I gained about 85lbs after I quit smoking, and the problems started.  I was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was devestated and in denial for a long time.  I finally tried to get my crap together and take my meds and deal with my issues, only to gain MORE weight!  I felt like I was in this endless downward spiral emotionally as the weight just kept piling on.  I was so angry with myself that I let it get "that bad".  I had doctors suggest surgery before to me, but I was petrified.  I finally listened to my GP and went to a seminar, and I will tell you that I learned about the sleeve and was THRILLED!  I am so happy that I had this surgery done.  My diabetes is in remission, which means that I'm not on any medications right now.  I imagine that if I were to eat carbs like I did before surgery, I would be right back on meds.  However, staying away from carbs right now is EASY...  (I'm 6 weeks post-op).  I barely have room for protein! 

It IS a radical change... but honestly, the change has been SO easy.  I still marvel at myself every day when I can only eat a HALF of a chicken breast.  HALF!  I probably ate more than that when I was 2!!!  The feeling that I can actually TURN AWAY food has been so liberating.

As far as the emotional protection, yes..  I can completely and totally identify with that.  I hate standing out, I'm a wallflower and really just don't want to be noticed.  The huge wall I built around myself ensured that I would not have any attention brought to me.  however, that is kind of stupid too because there WAS attention, I just didn't see it.  They all looked at me because I was so big.  The emotional part may end up being the hardest to deal with... but don't opt out of the surgery because of it.  There is so much help available.  I haven't seen a therapist yet, but I'm sure that in time, I will.  There are many emotional issues that go along with being overweight, and I'm sure they will spring up on me.

Relish in the fact that you CAN do this, that you will have a tool that will make losing weight SO MUCH EASIER.  Yes, it is work.  Yes, the first few days suck, but as you go along in the process, it gets easier and you realize all of the things that you can do without, and how strong you are for having surgery.

Getting over the anger was hard for me, as I suspect it was for you as well.  That is a HUGE step forward though, first, knowing you were angry and now, you're willing to do something about it.

It takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing.  I've been there.  This is a journey, but from what I've learned so far, it is SO worth it.

Take care, hang in there and please... keep posting! :)

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

jubjub
on 4/4/14 6:47 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Hey, welcome!

I too picked up substantial weight after quitting smoking - so much to improved health!  I ended up right around 300 (295 at the time I decided to do a VSG but had been up to 313 at the highest).

I had VSG just under two years ago... best thing I ever did.  I was pre-diabetic, High BP, High Triglycerides, etc. etc.  Every number going in the wrong direction.  Within weeks post-op everything was back to normal.

Losing weight prior to surgery is a good idea. It makes the surgery a lot easier for the surgeon, and preps you mentally for the low food consumption after surgery - although it's a lot easier after!  

Please feel free to reach out at any time and ask a question - here on on PM.  I'd be more than happy to help.

Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views