New Member, Many Thoughts and Questions

J B
on 4/3/14 5:38 am

Hello All - Well, I've made the actual leap from ideation into action, and have begun the process toward sleeve surgery.  It's been a long and strange road that brought me here, but it feels like the right thing for me to do at this point in time.  As one might imagine, there are a million thoughts running through my mind, questions, concerns, etc.  Just spending time on this forum and reading has already been enlightening.

As a quick intro, I am a 45 year old male, diagnosed diabetic around 2012.  It seems that everything (oddly) fell apart when I quit smoking in 2009 - weight came on, diabetes onset, blood pressure increase, etc.  My weight is currently at 302 and it's most definitely time for me to do this.  I have spent the last 5 years or so rather embittered that so many of my health problems started or worsened after I quit smoking - it felt like such a cruel blow, but I'm tired of being angry about it and simply need to do something about it.  The use of insulin has greatly inhibited my ability to lose weight on my own, and this is why I'm turning to surgery.  

I'm part of a program at the hospital where my primary care doctor is affiliated, and it is very extensive in its approach to weight loss, surgery and recovery.  i have so far been to an information session, a meeting with the staff psychiatrist, and am scheduled for a full-day immersion program to take place in about 2 weeks.  I've been told to lose about 15 pounds prior to surgery, and to make use of many resources (books, online forums, support classes).

I am certainly ready for a change, but also a bit scared - it feels that it is such a radical change.  I wonder sometimes if the scale of my body has been something of a protection for me for many years now (an emotional protection?)  I want to be sure that I'm ready for that as WELL as the physical changes.

That's more or less my introduction - I appreciate your time, and I hope to contribute more regularly here, and to read from all of you.

Scott S.
on 4/3/14 6:44 am - TX

Welcome and good luck on your journey.

I can tell you that after almost 8 months and 102lbs, it was the best decision I made.  There will be sacrifice and retraining, but all for the betterment of your health.

The waiting will be the hardest part.  Get ready for a new you.  Good luck!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/14 6:56 am

Welcome, and good luck.  I think you are on a very good track.  It's not an easy road, but it's one I am glad I took on a daily basis.  Find Frisco's and Kairk's post along with other male voices, it might help you to hear from the "guys". 

mt_rose112
on 4/3/14 7:00 am - libby, MT

Hi JTB, welcome.  I am new here as well. I signed in yesterday for the first time.  I had though joined in 2008, and  forgot.  Anyway, I was confused yesterday about drinking fluids and received great advice. I was totally encouraged. I am a bit older then you, 56, and am today two weeks out.  Even with my confusions, I still think this is one of my best life choices. As far as loosing weight, if you do two weeks of the protein drinks and do salads you will drop the weight very fast, you will be amazed. Good luck on your journey. Tina

Jennifer E.
on 4/3/14 7:14 am

Welcome!  It sounds like you are on the right path!  I had the surgery 2.5 weeks ago. I did a recent post about my experience if you are interested.  If you can't find it let me know and I will send it to you. Good luck!

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

Gwen M.
on 4/3/14 7:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome and congrats to you for making this decision!  It takes a lot of courage and bravery :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

gsp8610
on 4/3/14 7:57 am

Welcome!!  I am similar to you. 42 years old and male. My beginning weight was 324. Ok 10 days post op and am now down to 300. It's a long road but worth it!!  Hang tight. The the lead up and anticipation are the worst part!  Good luck!

Nmmsg
on 4/3/14 8:00 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Welcome to our sleeve family!  Buckle up because it will be a heck of a ride.  You are on the right track for reclaiming your health.  Follow your doctors' advice and read here for more hints.

Best wishes-

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

MsBatt
on 4/3/14 8:12 am

What health problems do you have, other than diabetes? The Sleeve is a great surgery, but I always encourage diabetics to also research the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that gives such remarkable results in curing diabetes that surgeons in Europe are doing it on NON-obese patients. It's also the go-to surgery for high cholesterol and metabolic syndrome. Plus the fact that it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats makes it a good thing to think about, too.

INgirl
on 4/3/14 12:29 pm

.. chiming in here. I've been very successful with the sleeve- but IF I had diabetes, I would most definitely given greater consideration to the DS (which I DID fully explore and understand before opting for the VSG.) Please read up on both. The two best in my book are the VSG and the DS. When there is a large metabolic issue on-board like diabetes, many times the huge & permanent metabolic assist of the DS is the best way to go for life-long lasting health improvement. The initial weight loss (from any WLS) is only one tiny short-term drop in the bucket of what this is all about. Pick the one that suits your needs the best.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views