Approval and surgery date! Questions for those who have had a revision.

happygurl429
on 4/7/14 5:29 am - Belleville, MI

I'm having a revision from the band to sleeve.  I am now officially approved and my surgery date is set for May 2nd.  I have an appointment with my PCP on April 18th to get surgical clearance and I am currently working on completing all the pre-op requirements: EKG, blood work, etc.  I already did my upper GI and that came back clear.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me a few things:

1.  What was your monthly weight loss when you went from band to sleeve? 

2.  Was the post-op eating plan similar to your experience with the band?

3.  How was your recovery post sleeve versus the band?

4.  For those who are at or near goal...Did you ever get near goal when you had the band? 

5.  What is the best thing about the sleeve?

I find myself being less excited about this surgery than I was to get the band.  Maybe it's because of fear?  I'm scared to have a second operation and all these crazy thoughts keep creeping into my head....what if I don't make it out of surgery?  What if I do and then I have a leak and I end up in the hospital for months? I know...it's just anxiety but I can't help it!  Either way, I have heard that so many more people are successful with the sleeve than they were with the band and I am looking for inspiration here. 

With the band, I followed the rules.  The band kept getting too tight at random with no reason.  So, I had no choice to go get partially unfilled and then the hunger and eating and subsequent regain would begin again.  It's been a vicious cycle for the past 6 years with the band.  I am putting my hope and faith into the sleeve. 

Thanks in advance!

Christina

onmyway06062011
on 4/7/14 5:53 am, edited 4/7/14 5:55 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Christina hi I had the lapband in 2011 and I had two slips with it  and my surgeon took it out in March 2013 I just had the VSG surgery 4 weeks ago today I can only tell you about my experience but this surgery has been the best surgery I've ever done for myself. To answer your questions #1 I am 4 weeks out and I have lost 29 pounds since surgery, 35 altogether with my preop diet.#2 no for me my postop diet  was very different with the lap band with the vsg  I was on clear liquids for four days then I went to full liquids for another week and a half and then I went to pureeds for a week and now I am on soft foods, with my lap band they progressed my food a lot faster.#3 it's funny you ask this because I just told my surgeon last week that my recovery with the VSG surgery was much easier than it was with the lap band I had a lot less pain a lot less nausea I only took one pain medication the night I got home that was it.#4 I can't answer this because I'm not anywhere near goal I still have another 94 pounds to lose.#5 I love everything about the sleeve but I think the best thing for me is i absolutely have no hunger and with the lap band I did. I hope this helps your anxiety most people have anxiety before surgery you'll do fine congratulations on getting approved and getting your surgery date.. Dawn

happygurl429
on 4/7/14 6:01 am - Belleville, MI

Thanks, Dawn.  I can only hope my surgery goes as smooth as yours!  I remember being in pain for a few days after the band, but it wasn't unbearable.  The worst thing about the band was still feeling hungry until they put the fluid in.  I remember thinking...this is the best thing in the world...to feel full after a few bites is AMAZING!  But then after about 9 months, that started to fade.  It was either too tight or too loose.  If I can get the restriction on a permanent basis, I will be in love!  LOL. 

Great job on your loss so far!  I can't wait to be there too:)

Christina

onmyway06062011
on 4/7/14 6:05 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Thank you Christina and I had the exact same thoughts as you although I was never able to get a fill because I had problems from the beginning with my band ( looking back on it now I can see that) and I did not lose nearly as fast with the band as I am now although I know it will slow down I hope it doesn't for a while again congrats!! Dawn

donnamy3sons
on 4/8/14 3:10 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

i had lap band 2/2010, then revised to sleeve 8/2013.

#1-i think my 1st month I lost 15lbs, 2nd &3rd lost 11lbs, then like 9lbs the next few, weight loss is a littel slower I have been told with a revision but I am happy.

#2-my post-op eating plan was similar but different, every surgeon is different but with the band I did 2 weeks liquids then 2 weeks puree then soft. with the sleeve I did 2 weeks liquids and 4 weeks puree then soft. (longest 4 weeks of my life)

#3- I recovered quicker with the band, had it on a tues and was back to work on mon. sleeve I was out of work 8 weeks ( lots of people go back sooner) I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. I also had a lot of nausea and dizziness tht lasted about 6 weeks.

#4- my did meet my initial goal with the band which then was 150lbs (started @ 235) with the band my goal was basically the same but have ended up weighing 141 (started @ 217) I am not complaining, never in a million years thought I could be this small:)

#5-being full after a 1/2-1 cup of food. it amazes me. love it!

I too followed all the band rules and fought having revision for over a year, I didnt want another surgery. I wanted the band to be it but after struggling with severe GERD and vomiting even on slider fods I knew it was time and I made my peace with my decision. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views