My eyes are really opened now!!!!

bobbio56
on 4/8/14 6:44 am - San Angelo , TX
VSG on 06/10/14

I just had my chest xrays done getting everything out of the way for surgery and got some bad news. They say I have congestive heart failure!!! I am soo scared!! My dad was only 63 when he passed from diabetes and heart and had congestive heart failure!! I am 57!!! so hope I can still have this surgery!!!!

VSG ON 6/10/2014  HW 370, SW 348, CW 326 M1:??

Dreamingofbeaches
on 4/8/14 6:55 am
with

I'm sure this is a very scary time.  I hope you have a good support system to help you as you adjust to this new information.  While I am certainly no medical expert, I know I have heard of many people living very long, long lives with congestive heart failure. 

FindingMyWeigh
on 4/8/14 7:07 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Hang in there! Your surgeon will be apprised of your congestive heart failure and discuss any additional surgery risks that arise because of it. I'm not a doctor, but many obese and morbidly obese people with serious co-morbidities have had WLS and gone on to healthier lives 

Colleen 

Lisa J.
on 4/8/14 7:10 am - OK

I'm obviously not a Dr either, but they probably can control it with medicine and you'll probably be cleared to still have the surgery because in the end, it's what will make you healther!!

Don't get down over this, be pumped that someone caught it!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Mary Gee
on 4/8/14 7:17 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I have Congestive Heart Failure too.  I'm 62.  Found out a year and a half-ago when I couldn't catch my breath.  I was hospitalized for five days.  I'm on medication and have not had any additional issues.  I do get tired more easily.

I've been cleared for surgery - had to see a cardiologist and have some testing -- but he gave the ok for WLS.  

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

happyteacher
on 4/8/14 7:19 am

My guess is that you will be cleareed, because one of the best things you can do to help your situation is to lose the weight.  Hang in there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Teri Turner
on 4/8/14 7:30 am - WA

Bobbi, I have congestive heart failure, too, and i have been cleared for surgery.  It's not a specific reason to be turned down - but wls is a way to decrease its impact on your life. 

If an x-ray revealed its presence, perhaps your heart is enlarged, your lungs congested.. It is caused by prolonged uncontrolled blood pressure.  It commonly presents with peripheral edema (swollen feet and ankles) and severe shortness of breath on brief amounts of normal exertion. 

It can't be cured, but there are drugs that, by controlling blood pressure, can alleviate the symptoms.  

Ask your doctor about any questions you have now or that occur in the future.  Follow your medical regimen, get a wrist blood pressure device for home to keep on top of your condition.  

I hope you will be able to shed some of your meds after your surger. 

Keep your chin up! 

bobbio56
on 4/8/14 7:32 am - San Angelo , TX
VSG on 06/10/14

Thank u everyone for the words of encouragement and support!! I also lurk on here a lot but feel like I have met a whole new group of friends on here!! Not going to let this stop my goal--just please say a prayer for me!!!!!

VSG ON 6/10/2014  HW 370, SW 348, CW 326 M1:??

tdallison
on 4/8/14 10:55 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Just wanted to offer my support and prayers.  Keep us posted 😇

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Most Active