Two months out from surgery, what should I be doing?

pugmadkate
on 4/12/14 8:27 am

Hello wonderful OHers!

I should be scheduling my surgery this coming week for mid-June.  It just dawned on me that that means I am now two months out from surgery!  I've been feeling very calm about it but realizing it is this close has me a bit worried.  What should I be doing? 

I'm going to order some different protein powers to find one I like and I'm also going to order a few dresses without waistbands for comfort post-surgery.  What am I missing?  What was your pre-op schedule like?  Wish you'd done anything differently?  I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you!

Kate

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/12/14 8:55 am

keep in mind tastes frequently change after surgery - don't spend too much money finding what tastes good yet. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

mollz007
on 4/12/14 9:11 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Sampling protein powder is a great idea. You can order samples from Nashua nutrition. But yes your tastes might change after surgery so keep that in mind. If you are a soda drinker I would try to give that up because you will be advised not to drink it post op because the carbonation will make you feel uncomfortable- trust me on that LOL. Try to get in the habit of drinking lots of water and eating protein rich foods. Good luck! Its good that you are starting early.

check out my blog!

happyteacher
on 4/12/14 9:32 am

Work your preop diet now, and begin to exercise if you have not already.  By dropping the junk food, caffeine, and soda it will be a huge help post o adjusting. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 4/12/14 9:33 am, edited 4/12/14 9:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When I was at that point, I started swapping out breakfast and lunch most day for shakes.  I wasn't obsessive about it, but if I was eating those meals alone, I just had a shake instead.  I'm really glad I did, it helped with my mindset I think.  (If I had soda or caffeine habits, I would have worked on cutting those during this time.)

I also bought a lot of things:

Gas-X strips - I used a few, one small pack would have been enough.  
Syntrax Fuzzy Navel, Roadside Lemonade, Lemon Tea - only liked the fuzzy navel which I mix with greek yogurt and freeze in popsicle form
Stacklable pill reminder - used briefly, don't like.  Ended up preferring a weekly pill reminder case instead.  
LunchBots Dips Condiment Containers - Haven't used yet, but will!  They're 1 ounces, will be great for jerky in my purse or similar emergency rations.
Ziploc Snack Bags - Haven't used yet, but will!  
Torani Sugar Free Holiday Variety Pack - I should have just gotten one bottle, I don't like adding flavors to my chocolate shakes.  
Optimum Whey Double Rich Chocolate (my favorite), Vanilla, Banana - Nice to try different flavors, I think I'm on my 3rd 5 pound container of the Double Rich Chocolate
Almond Milk, unsweetened original - yum.  This is how I mix my shakes.  
Glass 2-cup measuring cup (I had a plastic one but it doesn’t like the microwave) - I've used it for cooking, but nothing VSG specific.  
Vitamins - Probably self explanatory, my NUT wanted me to have my first three months ordered prior to surgery.  
Justin’s Natural Peanut and Almond Butter squeeze packs - I figure these will make good emergency rations.  
Libbey Just Tasting Appetizer spoons and forks - Super teeny forks and spoons, great for forcing small bites.  
Premier Protein Chocolate and Vanilla shakes (my favorite ready to drink) - I actually haven't really had many of these, they're not my favorite.  But my marathoner partner uses them, so it worked out.  
Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug (for hot drinks) - Didn't actually use this.  
American Weigh Scales Black Blade Digital Pocket Scale - I haven't used this yet since I haven't eaten in a restaurant.  
PB2 - used a few times, tasty stuff, would have been find not buying it.  
A number of cookbooks (Paleo and South Beach) - I can never have too many cookbooks, so this was money well spent.  
Medline Plastic Medicine Cups, 1 ounce - I did use these in puree stage, they made measuring pureed food very easy.  (I already owned a regular digital kitchen scale, since I cook a lot.)
Blender Bottles - love these things - Seriously love these things.  I've probably got 8. 
Quest Nutrition Variety Box - Tried one, got diarrhea, the sweetener used is too high fructose for my system.  I decided to use real foods as emergency rations, not bars.  
Dry Roasted Edamame - tried and didn't like, gave to vegan bff. 
Turkey Pepperoni - I will make "crackers" with this.  Someday.  Good thing it's got a long expiration date.  
Coconut Oil - Haven't used yet, will someday.  
Personal Cooler - This is great for taking shakes in the car so they'll stay cold.  I use it.  
Gasketed VitaCarry 8 Compartment Pill Box - never used it.  
Caffeine strips - I will use these some day, I've used them in the past.  They're an easy way to get caffeine since I don't drink coffee. 
The Beck Diet Solution - Haven't gotten around to read.  Might some day, might not.  
Comfy dress to wear to and from surgery - Definitely glad I had this!  
Expanding file folder - used for all the paperwork.  
Fiesta salad plates - I use these for my teeny new meals!
Ninja blender system - Love it, used it a lot during purees and I use it for a lot of other cooking as well!  
Hamilton Beach personal blender - never used
Meds - All the stuff the surgeon prescribed.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 4/12/14 9:33 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you smoke or drink lots of caffeine quit now , you do nor want to go thru withdrawal right before or after surgery

get used to not drinking with meals

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

pugmadkate
on 4/12/14 10:19 am

Thank you all!  GwenMo, That is quite a list!  Very helpful!

I quit soda over a decade ago, don't drink alcohol at all and only have one cup of tea in the morning when it comes to caffeine.  So on one hand it feels good to be ahead of the game.  On the other hand, my diet is low in protein except for red meat and I know that must change. 

Would love to hear from others as well.  I like being prepared as much as possible.

Gwen M.
on 4/12/14 10:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you plan on tracking your food, this would be a good time to start getting in that habit too!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GingerJen
on 4/12/14 10:35 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I started exercising 6 days a week (walking) and 3 days a week weight training. It was good to get a start and improve my muscle mass. I tracked everything I ate on my fitness pal. I aimed for 1200 calories with 80-100g protein, under 50g carbs. It was really good to get used to logging and start to think about how I'm going to get a lot of protein in.  I read a lot on here-esp what people were eating. It was good to try different things that I hadn't thought of. As much as you can do to get in the mindset and start doing the things we have to for life, the easier!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

pugmadkate
on 4/12/14 1:32 pm

Great ideas.  I need to start tracking food again and restart my exercise program.  These are really helping me, thank you!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 217 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views