The world traveler comes home and comes clean: check in after 2 weeks on the road

VSG on 06/12/13

Moment of truth: I got on the scale this morning and was up 3 pounds. 

I got home last night from 2 weeks on the road where legitimately the last home-cooked, on-plan food I had was breakfast following a one-night stopover at home between two back to back trips. The first part if the trip was to London and Paris and the second part of my trip was a work event in Breckenridge. I checked in for the Breckenridge trip while I was still at the airport retrieving my luggage from the European trip.

To say my eating feels really out of whack despite my attempts to stay on plan is an understatement. I know what I am going to have to do. It is a simple 3 step process that comes back to what I eat, what I drink, and how I move:

• Go back to my preop diet of 20 grams carbs per day, period. I will give myself some slack on the total number of calories consumed. When I have done this before, I found that after a day or two of being higher in calories than where I want to be, I don't feel hungry anymore. This will serve the purpose of detoxing off of the carbs, which rob me of satiety. And, I have got to be tight on my logging and log as I go.
  • water, water, water...Colorado was really dry. Even though I made a concerted effort to drink constantly, my lips are dry. I know I'm behind. I have to push those fluids.
  • gym: I lost my trainer a few weeks before all of this travel. I have got to re-sign with someone and get back into my gym routine/schedule.

I admit this was a great test for me. I had no access to a scale, and feel I made (attempted to make) reasonable choices as I went along given my options. The sleeve definitely helped WRT capacity, but I know I was too heavy on the carbs. In that regard I am grateful I was only up 3 lbs. It was actually more when I hopped on my scale in between trips. I am pleased that I managed as well as I did when totally out of my element and without access to my typical foods and routine.

Hubby was able to do some research while I was away on our best options for trainers and gyms. I cancelled my old gym membership yesterday and will look to join another gym as early as today. I walked around the block between sessions at the work meeting and walked between airport terminals (no people movers for me!). I listened to my body when it said it wanted to move and my body thanked me.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

TexasTerritory
on 4/12/14 11:09 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Trip to Paris and only up 3 pounds? Sounds awesome to me! Welcome home.

Tirza T.
on 4/12/14 11:29 pm
VSG on 01/17/12

I totally Agree with the other poster, 3 lbs is an accomplishment.  BTW I hope you had a wonderful and amazing trip. I also think your mindset is amazing and it will make you remain successful. I went to Disney World for two weeks in November 2012 when I was 15 pounds away from goal. Despite walking everywhere all day long it really is a lot about what is going into your mouth. I gained a whopping 15 pounds!!!!!! I came home saw that scale and became completely defeated. Instead of feeling that way I should have just gone back to the basics. I have been yo-yoing ever since and have been as high of a regain as 80lbs. I still have not seen goal yet. I encourage you to keep your mind frame. It is excellent. I am so encouraged by your post and I will continue to try my best to follow my plan (no more yo-yoing) and see that goal. Thanks for the post!

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
VSG on 06/12/13

I appreciate your perspective here! I admit I am sort of beating myself up over +3 pounds and your post and encouragement helps me to keep that in perspective. It was tremendously reassuring to see it was "only" 3 pounds (which, honestly, could be fluid retention since I'm behind on fluids), but it still isn't the direction I want to go. I know I have to be tough with myself for a few days. I'm viewing it as "practice" for maintenance, which I have never done before.

Let's do this together! We've got this! You look like you are moving in a really positive direction now...

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Tracy D.
on 4/13/14 12:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome home, Laurie!  I think 3 lbs after 2 weeks in Europe is a miracle and victory 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/13/14 1:47 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You did great!!!! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

themexcellentone
on 4/13/14 4:49 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I think you have handled this well.  Why?

You have recognized what put you up the 3 pounds you are up.

You know what you need to do to get back on track.

You're committed to getting back on the horse and riding.

You got this, Laurie! 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views