GOOD Friday is going to be GREAT!

boymom2007
on 4/13/14 10:43 am

My VSG is scheduled for April 18, and the fact that it's Good Friday is not lost on me. How appropriate that the time we remember the crucifixion of Jesus, and celebrate his resurrection from the dead, will be the time that I'm rescued from the death of obesity and begin my new life! 

I am extremely excited and feel completely ready this time (I've backed out twice in the past) I finally realized it's not just about scheduling surgery and preparing for the physical demands, but preparing myself mentally as well. This time I prepared before I'd even scheduled surgery, by seeing a therapist. I cannot tell you how valuable this person has been to me. AND weight loss is one of the very few things we actually discuss! So many aspects of my life are tied into how my brain controls my behaviors. I've already been successful in modifying other behaviors and ways of thinking that I know are going to lead to my longterm success!

I know this journey is going to be a big one for my "brain"-our minds are so powerful! I'm also trying to see this as a marathon---and that the finish line doesn't end when I reach my weight loss goal :)

I would love any advice that I could get! What should I expect the few weeks after surgery? How did you feel when you achieved your goal? How did you overcome setbacks! Thanks to all!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

boymom2007
on 4/13/14 10:43 am

My VSG is scheduled for April 18, and the fact that it's Good Friday is not lost on me. How appropriate that the time we remember the crucifixion of Jesus, and celebrate his resurrection from the dead, will be the time that I'm rescued from the death of obesity and begin my new life! 

I am extremely excited and feel completely ready this time (I've backed out twice in the past) I finally realized it's not just about scheduling surgery and preparing for the physical demands, but preparing myself mentally as well. This time I prepared before I'd even scheduled surgery, by seeing a therapist. I cannot tell you how valuable this person has been to me. AND weight loss is one of the very few things we actually discuss! So many aspects of my life are tied into how my brain controls my behaviors. I've already been successful in modifying other behaviors and ways of thinking that I know are going to lead to my longterm success!

I know this journey is going to be a big one for my "brain"-our minds are so powerful! I'm also trying to see this as a marathon---and that the finish line doesn't end when I reach my weight loss goal :)

I would love any advice that I could get! What should I expect the few weeks after surgery? How did you feel when you achieved your goal? How did you overcome setbacks! Thanks to all!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

mt_rose112
on 4/13/14 10:53 am - libby, MT

Great post. God's blessings on you.

Justme7
on 4/13/14 12:50 pm, edited 4/13/14 1:24 pm - ID

Great post. I have also been scheduled for surgery two times and backed out. I am seeing a counselor and feel I am ready this time.  I go see the doc this week then wait two days for insurance to say yes and set a date. I am thinking the second week of May.  My counselor said he will even drive me. He had RNY years ago and is doing great. He has pointed out that my weight has impacted EVERY aspect of my life.  There are so many things I no longer do because of gaining over 100 pounds in the past year. Heck I don't even go to my kiddos school to eat lunch anymore because of the small tables the kids sit at to eat lunch.  I can't back out again, I am so miserable and depressed because of my weight. I have to get my life back. Heck there is even a volunteer program I want to be a part of, but don't because it would require purchasing new dress clothes (I have none) and I just can't go and buy clothes as I will not look good in them and will just sweat in a shirt and tie.   

KevinBacon
on 4/13/14 1:11 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

Blessings to you!

Biggest advice-- don't be surprised if the first few weeks make you feel like your life is over. A lot of people hit it out of the park with no issues from day one, but a lot don't too. You are literally rolling the dice and you won't know until you're there what you're facing.

If i were you i would set up an appt with your therapist just incase at 2 or 3 weeks out. I needed it bad and couldn't get in! 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Plumlove
on 4/14/14 9:18 am

God bless!

Most Active