Are you allowed to climb stairs when you first get home from surgery?

bethesameuntil
on 4/15/14 4:02 am

I have pre-op appointments on the 8th of May, and my surgery is on the 13th. I live alone, so I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to be staying after surgery. Preferably with my sister. The only problem is that her guest room is on the second floor of her house. I know walking is encouraged, I'm just not sure whether going up and down stairs is. Anyone know?

I'm going to ask the surgeon on the 8th about it, but knowing sooner would help me get things setup with whoever I'm staying with. I realize it could be different for different surgeons.

Scorpio98
on 4/15/14 4:09 am

I had my sleeve on March 24th.  Stayed in the hospital 2 nights and was released on the 3rd day.  I got a lot of walking in when I was in the hospital.  I have about half a flight of stairs up to my apartment, but my doctor's discharge notes said I was cleared for stairs.  

I would ask your surgeon, and then just take the stairs slowly, depending on how you feel.  I didn't have any problem with them.

Stacy_WLS
on 4/15/14 4:15 am

I was cleared for stairs - my bedroom is upstairs.  I think most people are, but I would check with your surgeon.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Ribigman
on 4/15/14 4:33 am
VSG on 04/10/14

I was cleared for stairs of necessity but not for exercise. I went in last Thursday and was discharged on Saturday. I have been going up and down the stairs about 6 times a day to go out for my walks with no problems, just go slow and focus on using your legs and not your core.  Good luck and stay focused!

Jackie T.
on 4/15/14 4:49 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I was cleared for all activity as tolerated except for lifting and twisting.  Stairs were never a restriction.  Because you will tire easily it may be a chore to climb but it will be good for you.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 5:36 am

I walked about three miles on the third day after surgery without any issues and yes, I was cleared for stairs.  I was not cleared to lift heavy items for a bit, but there were no other restrictions on my movements. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 5:36 am

I walked about three miles on the third day after surgery without any issues and yes, I was cleared for stairs.  I was not cleared to lift heavy items for a bit, but there were no other restrictions on my movements. 

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 5:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No problems, not an issue.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

bethesameuntil
on 4/15/14 5:58 am

Awesome. Thanks, guys.

csbsteph
on 4/15/14 10:46 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I too was able to go up & down my stairs "as tolerated"-were the orders but please be careful I was a bit wobbly for about a week after my surgery.  Good luck with everything.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views