Pre-op full liquig diet HELP!!!!

sarah_lil
on 4/17/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 04/23/14

My surgery is next Wednesday so this is my 3rd day on the full liquid diet.  I am starving.  I cannot tolerate the protein drinks (I have tried 2 different kinds already and ordered another unflavored one to try).  I have a constant headache and I feel nauseous most of the day. 

When does it get better?  Is it normal to feel nauseous so much when I am eating so little?  Any advice or encouragement is welcome!

mamasloth
on 4/18/14 12:02 am

I think it got better after the third day.  My pre-op diet was two weeks long and clear liquids for the full day before.  Drink lots and lots of water. Chew gum. ;)  I could drink the protein shakes before, I cannot stand them now.  It makes it hard to get in all of my protein (11 weeks out)

Hang in there.  Just keep telling yourself that this phase is shrinking your liver to make surgery safer!

alykat1116
on 4/18/14 12:36 am - NV

Most people say that the 3rd day is the worst, but it gets better after that. Are you allowed anything else, or just strickly shakes? I was on a pre-op liquid diet for 6 weeks before surgery, but my NUT allowed 2 cups of veggies per day along with my shakes. Maybe check with your NUT. Good luck :)

Height: 5' 2''     HW: 310     SW: 273    CW: 239 (03/21/16)    VSG was on 03/10/2014  

MissNexxie
on 4/18/14 12:57 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I am also on my Day 3 of liquid diet.  My surgery is April 30th so I've got to go even longer than you do.  I have 5 Ensure shakes per day as well as coffee, tea and no sodium chicken broth.  I've taken to mixing some of the vanilla Ensure into my morning coffee (which I've always brewed with a little cinnamon) and it's not too bad at all. I time my shakes every 3 hours and fill the in between with lots of water.  It's not easy because, of course, we aren't eating/chewing food and the body desires it, but this time I'm not giving in.  I know i'm still getting around 1200 calories per day with the Ensure so my stomach will just have to 'deal with it'. 

Many have said, and I agree (so far), this is the hardest part.  You just have to look past the coming few days to what lies beyond.  The surgery.  What you've fought for and worked to get to. You can totally get through the next little while, I believe it. You're already doing it!!!  They physical issues (headache, nausea) will pass.

You need to walk thru this, even if its one minute at a time, and keep focused on what's on your horizon.  VSG, baby!

Also, for me, chewing gum doesn't work - makes me atrociously hungry because it stimulates my stomach and produces intolerable desire to eat. But that's just me.

Another idea, try Premier Protein shakes from Costco or Syntrax or Unjury. 

Good luck to you, hang in there.  You CAN do this. You got it!!

Mac333
on 4/18/14 2:11 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Hey,

I am on day 2 of my pre op diet. I know every Dr. Has a different approach. I am allowed sugar free Popsicles and sugar free jello along with my protein shakes and 1 can of 98 percent fat free soup per day.

If any of this is allowed  for you it really helps with the hunger. Good luck and remember the reason for this is so your liver will shrink and allow a better working space for your surgeon.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/18/14 3:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You can do it!, just hang tough, I'm right there with ya, I'm on day 22 of the liquid pre-op diet, surgery scheduled for 4/25. I didn't feel nauseous but I did feel tired in the beginning, but ok now. I can only say that it does get easier & try other ways to get your protein in cuz you're gonna need it after the surgery too, & solid foods will be a no no till your body heals, can you have soup?, I heard strained soups is pretty tasty, I can have some veggies so I've had progresso cream of mushroom soup, Campbells butternut squash bisque is pretty tasty, you can put unflavored protein powder in it so you can get some protein in, are you lactose intolerant?, some protein shakes are milk based, so it won't agree with you if you try them., also I heard drinking sportea, it's a tea & it clamps down on the hunger for a bit. Finally if you have a sweet tooth try sf popsicles or at least the no sugar added ones. Good Luck!

sarah_lil
on 4/18/14 4:32 am
VSG on 04/23/14

Thanks everyone!  I have ordered the Unjury unflavored protein, but it will take a few days to get here.  I have the Premier Protein and the Extreme Smoothie protein drinks, but they taste like melted, thick sugar free fudgsicles to me.  The first few were ok, but as I continue drinking them they are not sitting well with me.  I have been drinking the Carnation Instant breakfast (sugar free), sugar free jello, broth, light yogurt...  I am not allowed any fruits or veggies.  

I will keep eating (drinking) the things I can and wait for it to get better.  I know it is going to be a few more weeks, but I cannot wait to move to soft foods!

megan.sherman
on 4/18/14 5:08 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I mixed  Instant breakfast with vanilla yogurt before surgery.  Now, I am almost 5 weeks post op and I am mixing Dannon Light and Fit Greek strawberry cheesecake yogurt, chocolate protein powder and a little water and I drink that.

Good luck!

Scylla
on 4/18/14 5:15 am

My surgery date is 4/23 and I have been on a diet consisting of 4 protein shakes and raw vegetables since 3/25.  I can definitely tell you that it gets easier after the 3rd day!

Tina M.
on 4/18/14 8:11 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

I am also on day 3, but my surgeon allows sugar-free jello & popsicles and a cup of fresh fruit, small salad (no dressing), fresh veggies or a cup of vegetable soup in addition to my protein drinks. I had a lot of nausea and headaches as well. My Dr. told me it could be from the lack of caffeine. I was a heavy Diet Pepsi drinker... I won't lie, this is probably one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life, but it is sooooo WORTH IT! Do you have a Vitamin Shoppe in your area? I am using their bariatric shakes, vanilla and chocolate & I'm doing ok with that. It's 15 g of protein per serving... You can use 4-8 oz of water per serving. I tend to use more water because I have an issue with the thicker texture. I also purchased a few singles of Syntrax Nectar. That seems to be the one that I read about most on here. I haven't tried it yet. Best of luck to you & I'll see you on the flip side of our surgeries! 

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views