Band to VSG Revision question- Second thoughts

happygurl429
on 4/28/14 5:14 am - Belleville, MI

Hi there.  First I want to say that I truly appreciate all the support, comments, suggestions, recipes and input that all the vets post on here.  It's been extremely helpful along my WLS journey for the past six years. 

I am in need of some support here once again. My surgery date is this Friday, 5/2.  I'm having a revision from my band to sleeve because for the past three years I've been having problems where my band is too tight and then too loose and as such, I've regained 50 lbs. of the 100 that I lost. 

I keep having doubts, thinking that maybe I didn't try hard enough...that maybe if I just got another fill, I could keep the band and not have to go through surgery again.  Part of my worry is the actual surgery...cutting my stomach out...such a major deal!  That's why I originally went with the band, because it was less invasive.

However, I know that the band won't last an eternity. I'm fairly young (38) and now the makers of the band are saying it may not last more than 10 years...and I am supposed to live 30 to 50 years with it?  I'm not confident that I wouldn't require another surgery in the future if I chose to stay with it.  Will the sleeve last a lifetime?  The staples..are they going to hold up that long?

The yo-yo of the band feels like a yo-yo diet.  One minute, excellent restriction, small meals satisfy quickly.  The next, Im eating a full dinner plate of food..and then feeling hungry between meals and snacking.  NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR!  The restriction is what helped me loose 100 lbs!  Without it, i'm back to square one. Will the restriction stay with the sleeve assuming I follow all the rules?  Clearly there are no adjustments after it's done like with the band!

I am terrified of doing this surgery and feeling like I made a mistake like I do with the band. And, even scarier is that this is one that I cannot fix or undo, it's permanent!

I've started my pre-op diet last week. It's 1200 calories for 8 days. I've done a pretty good job of sticking to it and it has opened my eyes to my lack of accountability.

I found that when my band has been loose, I have used that as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted.  Just like when I weighed 300 lbs.  My blood sugar got out of control ( I am a Type 1, diabetic on a pump) and I gained the 50 lbs. back.  Having to watch everything I put in my mouth over the past week has been a complete shock to me.  I cannot believe I stopped being accountable for what I eat and gave in.  I am terrified to admit this, but I truly think I was consuming over 2000 to maybe even 2500 calories a day.  It's no wonder I gained that much back! 

In all fairness, I have to say that when my band was properly restricted...for the first couple of years, I ate small amounts until I was full and stopped. I followed all the band rules...no drinking with meals, no junk food, no soda, exercise 3 to 4 x a week.  I did it all.  The downhill spiral started when the band was too tight and I had to have fluid removed.  I went through this too tight/ too loose phase getting filled and then unfilled probably 15 times over the past three years.  Each time, I would gain a little more. 

Now, here I am on the verge of surgery again.  Why am I doubting my choice?  Why am I terrified to do this?  Am I making the right decision?  I just keep questioning myself.  I have to believe that I can get to my goal. I have to believe that the band failed me and I am not the failure.  I have to believe that I will succeed!  

Has anyone else had second doubts about their revision? 

Please help!

Christina

Sandy M.
on 4/28/14 5:37 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Take a deep breath Christina - we've all been there and come through on the other side.  It's normal to second guess yourself the closer you get to surgery.  

Will VSG last forever?  Although relatively new for weight loss surgery, it's been around since the 1800's - people have been having large chunks of their stomach removed because of cancer and injuries for a very long time.  

I am a band to VSG revision, and I am very happy I did it.  No more fills and unfills, and I feel like I can eat like a normal person again, without having to know where the closest bathroom is!  But you are right about one thing - you have to be accountable.  The longer after surgery you are, the more food you can eat.  And bad habits can sneak back in if you let them!  Surgery might fix the physical, but there is no cure for obesity the mental illness.  

Whatever decision you make is your choice, and your choice alone.  We'll support you no matter what!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

happygurl429
on 4/28/14 5:46 am - Belleville, MI

Thank you!  I know I am in panic phase right now. I did it before my band too. Lol.  My mom and in laws think I'm nuts.  But, I am now at 265 lbs. If I keep it up with the band, I will be back where I started and quick. Nobody seems to understand my reasons for revision! 

I need to stay healthy!  I have four kids and a husband that count on me!  It's good to know I am not alone and not the only one who has felt this way right before surgery. 

Christina

KevinBacon
on 4/28/14 5:51 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I'm sorry you're in this turmoil! I know you will make the best choice for you! We will support you no matter what you choose! 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

56sunShine14
on 4/28/14 9:00 am

your post hits home with me.  And we live close to each other, isn't that funny?

I still have my band but will be removing it soon, I hope.  Still waiting for a surgery date.  I am going ahead with either RNY or the Sleeve.  for all my life, the thought of RNY has been one of fear because of things heard from back in the days before refinements and improvements, etc.  My band was put in in 2007 and in 2010 I had fluid removed because of a vomiting session that lasted 12 hours.  I have been so over this band for years now but had never heard of the Sleeve until I came back onto this site to research it.  I was SO very happy to see another choice, not just RNY!

That was my beginning of this journey for me.  I am no longer afraid of RNY, if the surgeon insists on it, I will do it.  I would rather have the sleeve because of the very real regain issue with RNY.  having already regained all of the weight lost from the band, regain is no longer an option for me and never should have been.  THAT was my fault.  But, I was so sick and tired of never knowing when I would lose the "argument with the band" and run for a bathroom.  Even now it happens.  sick of getting stuck if I accidently let a bean slide through.  And so tired of meat and veggies getting stuck!

I know that the next surgery is going to get me to my goal and I will not fear it!  I will accept its limitations and work with it as hard as I can to see it through until I am at goal.

I wish you well on your journey.  You will do what is right for you.  Just keep in mind, if you do nothing at all, your knees will give out, maybe your hips and ankles and you will suffer health issues like we all have and do.  The only way to reduce all that is to lose the weight.

happygurl429
on 4/28/14 10:56 pm - Belleville, MI

Sunshine,

Where are you located?  Who is your doctor?  Thank you for your words of encouragement.  You're right. I have solid reasons for making this choice. Last night, I just broke down crying after my 9 year old daughter told me she was afraid for me to have surgery because she loves me, I am the best thing in her life and she could never live without me.  I haven't really spoken about my concerns in front of my kids and have rarely spoken about the surgery in front of them because I wanted to avoid them being concerned.  After that episode, I just lost it.  However, after I picked myself up and talked to my husband, I remembered why I am doing this.  To be healthy and stay that way. I took one look in my bathroom mirror while I was getting dressed and remembered every single POUND for why I am doing this.  Today is my birthday and I start my clear liquid diet.  On any other birthday, that would be a serious downer.  Today, I am thankful for this second chance at being healthier.  This second chance to live longer.  So, I consider this a birthday gift to myself and to my family.  Good luck to you on your new journey too!

lovemyhorse
on 4/28/14 12:42 pm

I am a 1 1/2 months out from band to sleeve revision. I was terrified and I am glad to say that I truly felt no pain, took no pain meds, and have had only 1 incident of vomiting. I love how natural the sleeve feels compared to the restriction of the band. Its hard to explain but When I eat a small amount of food, it feels like thanksgiving day. I know not everyone has such an easy time but I am a wuss and it truly was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It happens so fast and the next thing you know you will be on the other side. BTW I am down 23 lbs since my surgery. Good luck to you. It will be okay

happygurl429
on 4/28/14 10:59 pm - Belleville, MI

Thank you for giving me some perspective! That's how I originally felt with the band...like thanksgiving day with a very small amount of food.  Then it all went downhill.  I know if that feeling will last and I can under eat my sleeve, I will be successful long term.  It looks like you are doing fantastic!  23 pounds already?!  Awesome! I hope my surgery is just as uneventful as yours!  Please keep me in your prayers...I am three days away!!

Christina

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views