This tiny tummy is closed for business

PinkNoley
on 4/30/14 1:57 am - IN

Hello all!

Last week I was in Medellin, Colombia for a conference. It was quite the experience! I faced a lot of food challenges, but most of them related to my Celiac Disease and lack of Spanish reading ability. However, I made one very interesting discovery that I wanted to share...

On the last evening of the conference, we had an awards ceremony and gala. The awards were to start at 8 p.m. with dinner to follow...8 is already at least an hour after I usually have dinner. Knowing it would be awhile, my friend and I ordered shrimp ****tail from room service while we gussied up to hold us over. Well, they didn't end up serving dinner until 11 p.m. I mean, I know they eat later in Latin America, but REALLY? 11??

I didn't necessarily feel hungry, but there was food in front of me, and even at 7 months out I have a hard time not eating something in front of my face. Fortunately, the only thing on the plate not glutenated was mashed potatoes, so I knew that was my only option. Well, I took a bite and my tummy was not happy. It was apparently closed for business. So, I pushed the meal aside and did not eat anymore. It was an interesting and good lesson to learn.

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

Tracy D.
on 4/30/14 2:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sounds like you handled it well.  I could never wait to eat until that late at night.  You were so smart to order an appetizer to eat as dinner before the "dinner".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/14 2:50 am - Canada

I'm learning to eat before I leave the house.  My husband and I like to spend our weekends out doing "stuff".  That always included at least two restaurant meals because we'd be out so long.  Restaurants are difficult at best now so I've learned to eat before I leave the house (and make him eat lol), pack some food and then we can have one meal out.  If I try and eat two meals out I get totally thrown off track.  Then when we do go to eat I try and pick a restaurant I know I can get what I want.  I love seafood so Red Lobster is usually my choice.  On Sunday I ordered a 1/2 lb of crab legs and ate them all!  I was so stuffed!!! I think that is about 3 oz of meat but breaking open those legs sure slows you down.  I think that's the first time I've let myself feel really full.  Thankfully a good walk after helped everything move and digest.

Travel is a hard one.  I'm going to Lake Las Vegas in 5 weeks and I'm planning our trip from the airport to the resort to include a stop at a grocery store so I can stock up on "my" staples.  I'll go out to eat with the girls but they know sponging off their meals is fair game! lol I love my friends.

Most Active