One week POST OP and need encouragement

sarah_lil
on 4/30/14 11:16 pm
VSG on 04/23/14

I had surgery last Wednesday and have 5 more days left on my full liquid diet before progressing to soft foods.  My staples have been removed and I have been off pain meds for a few days now, but am still experiencing some discomfort (it feels like I tore a muscle in my abdomen).  I am having trouble sleeping because I have to sleep on my back which I never did like--if I try to lay on my side I have a sharp pain.  

How long does this discomfort last?  When will I be able to bend over, get in and out of bed without thinking about how to best do it without some pain, wear non-elastic pants without discomfort, etc?  

Also, any advice on what to put on my incision sites to minimize scarring and skin toughness?  I was thinking vitamin E oil, but wondered if anything else worked better.

Thanks for any encouragement you can offer.

Sarah

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 12:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's going to take another week or two before most of the discomfort goes away.  But one or more incisions in particular may stay tender for awhile, especially the one they pulled your stomach out of.  I couldn't wear anything tight around my waist for weeks; it just stayed sensitive for awhile.  

As for the scars, I used Polysporin and gently buffed it in with my fingertips a couple times a day.  My doctor says it doesn't really matter what you use; it's the buffing action that helps to smooth out the scar and speeds the healing.  

Congrats on your surgery and welcome to the loser's bench! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kelly Jean
on 5/1/14 1:34 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Tracy can you explain to me about the Polysporin Ive never heard about it before... were do you get it, is it very expensive, and how did and does it work!!!!  How do your scars look!!!! Thank you

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 1:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Polysporin is related to Neosporin...it's just that a lot of people have reactions to Neosporin (and I'm notorious for developing skin allergies) so he recommended this. You can get it at any CVS or Walgreens.  I think I got my last tube in the health section of my local grocery store.  It's not pricey either.  Can't remember the actual cost but I'm going to say it's probably in the $8-$10 range for a tube.   

Again, it's not the cream or oil you use that really has much to do with the way your scars will look.  It's the daily "buffing" action that brings blood flow to the area and helps them flatten out.  My scars look wonderful...and I'm one of those people that typically keloid scar (raised, lump scars).  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Kelly Jean
on 5/1/14 1:49 am
VSG on 04/08/14

what did you use for the buffing???

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 1:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You just use your fingers

Kelly Jean
on 5/1/14 1:11 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Hold tight it will get better!!!! I had mine done on April 8th so I totaly understand...I still sleep with a pillow on my tummy and one on each side of me it help me not to roll over ....as far as bending over it will get better.... take baby steps you will get there ... your best off wearing dresses this way your not near the waits line.... just remember how you will feel months down the road and all the things you will be able to do.... all because of this weight loose journey!!!! embrase it ....... Remember drink drink drink and walk walk walk and protien protien protien all of these will make you feel much better and help you heal much faster!!!!!!!

Best of luck and a very speedy recovery!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views