O.T. GYNO STUFF

edelu
on 5/1/14 6:01 am, edited 5/1/14 6:23 am - los angeles, CA

So today I went for my yearly mammo and pap.  I hate them both so i schedule them both on the same way that way I can justify a glass of wine after.  

Anyhow my regular gyno was away, which they had told me but our schedules just didn't work so I saw one of her partners who I've seen before and liked.  

She looked at my chart and said 'you just had a clear pap and mamma a year ago'?  I said yes.  She said and you have no history?  Again yes.  So she said "We are no longer recommending yearly mammo's or pap's. Every three years is sufficient. Regardless of age? I ask.  Yes she replies.

So my question is; has anyone else being told this?  Is this a new thing? Is this real and if it is has my regular gyno just been having me come in to charge my insurance or are these new rules just implemented this year. 

I'm thoroughly confused.  Do I now only have to do this every three years.  My friends say they have not heard this from their gyno's , so I thought I'd open it to a larger forum.  

Thanks

civilmomma
on 5/1/14 6:13 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I'm not at mammo age yet, but I have heard 2 years from my GYN for paps.  I choose to have one annually b/c I am in childbearing years and we think I had HPV sores 5 years ago - so I choose not to skip years.

You would still go for a pelvic exam every year, still get the speculum and all that, just no swab for the Pap.

From the CDC's website:

"If your Pap test results are normal, your doctor may tell you that you can wait three years until your next Pap test."

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/14 6:18 am

Hi Edelu,

I was told this 2 years ago by my Gyno. After she told me I got a something in my monthly insurance news letter. After that I hear it on the Health channel. So it's not an insurance thing. But if you ever had an abnormal result I would call my insurance to make sure they cover yearly. 

GingerJen
on 5/1/14 6:38 am
VSG on 03/07/14

the recommendations have changed a lot in the last 5 years - so there is variation among providers.  You should still have an exam every year - just maybe not the specific tests

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

bytheriver
on 5/1/14 6:52 am - Puerto Rico

Yes, the PapSmear thing change, it is not every year. It's based on your age and your medical hx in regards to past paps. But, you still have to see your gyno every year, for yearly exam. The yearly exam is more of a cervix check and to see if any changes have occured in the area of hormones, vitamins, etc. Now, the mammogram, it was going to change like the paps stuff, but it is still every year, so far, here in VA, though. The reason for the changes in PapSmear is because based on many studies, the pathology related to cervical stuff don't change, as fast, as they thought before, and based on that information the guides were changed.

happyteacher
on 5/1/14 7:49 am

I am a cancer patient, so keep in mind my directives are a bit different.  But, prior to my uterine ablation my Ob said Pap smears every 2 years, so that I think is not so unusual.  The mammo though- every year.  High risk patients like myself 1 mammo and 1 mri (6 month intervals, so 2 screens in a year).  3 years is insane to me, but my family history is so horrible that I am absolutely skewed on my opinion.  If your insurance covers it, get it done. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

edelu
on 5/1/14 8:09 am - los angeles, CA

Part of the reason for every three years with no history is that they may be doing more harm than good with the amount of radiation used.  This is such a shock because i am generally a good girl about due diligence and now i wonder was i doing myself more harm than good with my diligence.  It's also gonna mean quite a change in billings for gynecologists.  That's gotta be rough.

SunnyGal14
on 5/1/14 7:51 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I was told every three years for paps too.  I moved and began seeing another obgyn at a year and half later, he says every year.  I don't feel comfortable going every three years only.

Have not had a mammogram yet.

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

edelu
on 5/1/14 8:11 am - los angeles, CA

I'm thinking if the CDC is recommending 3 years for both now it will not be long before insurance companies only cover that.

SunnyGal14
on 5/1/14 8:13 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Probably not.

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views