Keeping Fluids UP!!!

LovesDoggs
on 5/5/14 1:32 am - Clayton, CA

I am struggling with getting enough fluids.  I'd love to hear what you all have found to drink that you find easy and enjoyable.  I know everyone is different.  I think I just need to keep trying new things.  Last week I found a Peach tea that was pretty good but I need more options.

Thanks for the help!

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 1:48 am - Canada

I drink everything at room temperature or hot.  I drink a lot of tea; everything from black to herbal teas.  A lot of people find that cold liquids are hard to get down.  I've recently switched from vitamin water and gatorade to plain water.  Water has been my evil nemesis through this whole process but I've decided I need to get used to it so I am forcing it down though it's still very uncomfortable for me. I'm compensating with more tea until I can get more water in.  Right now I'm working on a bottle a day which is crazy compared to the amount of vitamin water I could drink.  Trial and error will help you find what works for you ;)

mickeymantle
on 5/5/14 2:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

decaf  ice coffee with da vinci sf cookies and cream syrup is my favorite this week 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nierdemi
on 5/5/14 3:51 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Mickey,

Where do you buy the syrup you use in your coffee.  I would love to find some great SF options.  SF Iced Vanilla Coffee from McDonalds was my fav prior to surgery!

Thanks

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 5:06 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

The grocery store sometimes has it, but I usually buy at Cost Plus World Market.  They have great selection.  Even better selection, if you don't mind paying for shipping, is http://www.webstaurantstore.com/

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Nierdemi
on 5/6/14 12:24 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Thanks, I will definately check it out!

Sandy M.
on 5/5/14 2:26 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Sportea is my go-to these days.  It's not cheap, but it tastes good and I'll drink more.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 3:46 am

Immediately post op my best option was room temperature water. That is what agreed with me the most. Later on I really liked a lot of the crystal light teas. You really have to experiment to find what works and what you like. It's not always easy for some.

I have seen first hand someone in my VSG group collapse due to dehydration post surgery. It's not pretty. Another guy in one of my groups (who had RNY) was not drinking and vomiting and didn't let the doc know and he ended up in the ER with KIDNEY FAILURE! Don't let this happen. DRINK!!!!!

One thing that helped me a whole lot was giving myself a goal of drinking 2.5 oz of water/liquid every 15 minutes. I do well with goals so that worked for me.

LovesDoggs
on 5/5/14 3:58 am - Clayton, CA

Thanks!  I think I have a 2 oz shot glass that someone gave me for my bday that I could use.  Never thought I would use it!   It'll work great.

Yes, I mentally know how critical fluids are and I feel my weight loss has been slower due to not enough intake.  I also think I may be exhausted due to it too.  I'm really working on it.

Thanks for the tips.  I wonder what my staff will think of a shot glass on my desk...lol. :)

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

Lemily
on 5/5/14 4:20 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I was awful at keeping track of my fluids, but now I track everything with my fitbit. Room temps work best for me as well. When they are really cold I find myself gulping more and its not good. Water is still tough for me to get down but i know i need to get it in. I drink total per day about 100 ounces of fluid. I usually have like 18 ounces of coffee - - i know i know, but it helps me and if its the worst of my vices Im ok with that LOL. And the rest of the 82 ounces is all plain water. I used to get frustrated filling up my bottles, knowing I had to drink all of them. Instead at work, I get up everytime to get more water in a 12 ounce cup - dual purposes...gets me moving b/c i sit all day at work, and I am getting my fluids in. Its more the tricking of my mind. In the beginning using a straw is a no-no. But, I also find using a straw now helps me more to get all the water in and I have no issues with extra air from sipping through the straw.

The only other thing I really drink is crystal light iced tea. I happen to like the decaf better than the regular. I try to stay with plain water so that I am not using artificial sweeteners too much. But, one of my favorite things to do when i have company is that i take a few slices of lemon, lime, and orange (or clementine), put them in the water and let it infuse over night. I dont squeeze them and put them in, just layer them in. It's really good and refreshing and takes away from the heaviness of plain water - - if that makes any sense at all.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views