Easing back into protein

carrie054
on 5/7/14 3:56 am

I have been sick the last week or so with the flu and pneumonia (which can really interrupt a routine).  I'm still feeling too yuck to work out but am trying to get back to normal with my eating.  I've been so sick that I'm mostly just drinking water and eating crackers and other easy not-VSG friendly foods because it's all I can tolerate.  

How can I get protein back into my diet?  This may sound like a really dumb question but my stomach is still so sensitive, and I'm not ready for dairy or dense protein.  I tried my normal chike shake again today and I'm not ready for caffeine again, either.  Does anyone have any tips or advice for eating after a stomach bug/illness?  I think maybe I need to go back to the beginning and make egg drop soup and the stuff I was eating 2 weeks out. Bleh.  

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

megan.sherman
on 5/7/14 4:01 am
VSG on 05/17/14

Have you tried Isopure clear?  It comes in a 20 oz bottle.  I have to mix it with some crystal light powder because I'm not crazy about the taste but it's 40 grams in the 20 oz bottle.

Feel better!

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/14 4:04 am - Canada

I think you are right.  Protein liquids/soft food with no dairy.  Slowly wean off the crackers dont' try and stop them all at once. They really do help to protect your tummy. I would give your tummy a week at least to adjust to adding foods back in.  Try some homemade chicken soup and just eat the chicken.  It might be a good way to start on the dense proteins once the soft foods are going down ok.  Don't ru**** or you could set yourself back.  Also watered down G2 if you are dehydrated.  If you have been running a fever, had diarhea or vomiting your electrolytes could be out of wack.  

If you have been on antibiotics then I would also suggest a probiotic supplement to start introducing good flora back into your body.

Blessings, michelle

mickeymantle
on 5/7/14 5:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

chicken soup with the boiled chicken in it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

t3dsmom
on 5/7/14 8:09 am

How about Unjury chicken soup flavor? Not like homemade but not bad......

carrie054
on 5/8/14 3:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions.   Today I feel better physically and more adventurous food wise. I made myself some egg drop soup yesterday but I did a terrible job :) I was able to eat some of the taco filling I made last night.  I'm annoyed with myself because it's a constant self-sabotage game; I could eat crackers all damn day, but I don't need them, at all and I don't want to justify my bad behavior.  

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views