Surgery on Tuesday 5/13/14

Sanna0909
on 5/10/14 11:14 am
VSG on 05/13/14

My first post.

I am having my surgery on Tuesday and is excited and scared at the same time. Started the liquid diet last Saturday, it is hard but I was working so it kept my mind off of food. Today I am struggling, I keep smelling everybody's BBQ around the neighborhood and I just want to eat something substantial. I have lost 8 lbs since Saturday and I just keep telling myself to keep being strong and that I am doing this so I am in the best condition for the surgery. What do you guys do when something smells so good, you just want to run over and grab a bite?

mamafive
on 5/10/14 11:41 am

I am having surgery wednesday!  I have been on the liquid diet for 11 days and there are times that it has been more difficult but I just keep thinking about long term and how the one bite would only set me back.  The first week was so mental for me and now its just a waiting game until wednesday.

Tuesday will be here before you know it!

Lori

Sanna0909
on 5/10/14 11:57 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Thank you 

Good luck with your surgery and happy Mother's Day!

Susanna

mollz007
on 5/10/14 11:54 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Hang in there! The pre op diet was the hardest part for me. I had to do it for a week and the second day was on valentines day. You are right about staying busy... it helps. The weekend was the worst part. How many shakes are you allowed to have? Spacing them out evenly as much as you can helps. I got to have 4 a day so I tried to have one every few hours. I also ate a lot of sugar free jello and popsicles. Binge watch netflix this weekend, read a good book, go shopping, whatever keeps you occupied! You can do it... it will be so worth it! Good luck!

check out my blog!

Sanna0909
on 5/10/14 12:00 pm
VSG on 05/13/14

I appreciate the support, I realize that I have to take the support everywhere I can get it. My family is supportive to a point, but are still wanting me to pick up food for them! When I explained how hard it was my daughter cried.

Susanna

mollz007
on 5/10/14 12:06 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

It is really hard to understand until you are actually in the situation. I'm glad your family is supportive. We have all been there too so we can provide support too. I fely extremely lonely during my liquid phases because so many things that involve being social aalso involve eating! It is hard not to become a hermit during that time just to keep from eating... lol. One of my coworkers had the VSG a month after I did at the same practice, but with a different doctor. Same weight, same BMI... everything, but she didn't have to do a pre op diet! Her doctor only wanted her to do low card/high protein and cals around 1200! I would have given a kidney to do that instead! Grr! But the pre op diet did give me a nice boost... I lost 15 pounds and was that much closer to goal.

check out my blog!

calemom512
on 5/10/14 12:34 pm

I would run errands or do something else.  We had a Rib Fest on May 3rd for my dad's birthday and it was really difficult - but I knew 1 bite would void everything I had done before.  I am 5 days after surgery and it's so easy now!!!

Tina O
on 5/10/14 10:07 pm - ME
VSG on 05/12/14

Congrats on your surgery! Mine is tomorrow and I didn't have to do the pre op liquid diet, but I did have to start clear liquids yesterday for the prep drink I need to take. Soooo hungry already, I give you major credit for being able to do liquids for a week! I did find myself chewing on crab meat yesterday, I didn't swallow though. The flavor in my mouth seemed to help some along with the chewing it was almost like eating 

HW: 414 ... CW: 260 ... GOAL: 147

apreppyhippie
on 5/10/14 11:16 pm

The pre-op fast was the hardest part for me--I was miserable--and I'm kind of a sunny personality usually! One day I ate so many sugar free Popsicles my lips were numb! I have a list of "distraction activities" that I go to when my brain isn't working, and that has helped! Best to you!

Antiquelover
on 5/11/14 7:02 am

Hi, my and my husband;s surgery is tomorrow.  Doing the pre-op bowel cleanse today, yucky but anticipating good results so we are optimistic about tomorrow.  Since we will be going thru this at the same time, we will be able to relate to each other I hope.  Please tell me what you meant by 'distraction activities"? Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views