OMG, I have ravenous head hunger.

michellebrad
on 5/13/14 4:27 am - Eastlake, OH

I simply cannot POSSIBLY be hungry.  I ate breakfast.  I mowed the lawn.. ok it's not HARD exercise but still, it was exercise.  Then, after that I was actually starving, so I ate some turkey, cheese and 2 wasa thin crackery type things.  I also had about 1/3 of a Quest Bar.  Problem is... my brain still thinks I'm hungry.  Argh.. this head hunger thing is the PITS!  I hate it.  I will NOT let it win.  I will NOT let it win.  NO. NO.  So, what can I do? Grr

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/14 5:46 am

Perhaps something you ate is a trigger for you. I know that Quest Bars make me feel that I want to eat more. I never used them during weight loss, but started trying them after I had reached goal. I still use them for travel and when I know I will have a hard time getting in all my food because of a busy schedule, but every time I eat one I am prepared to want more and know that it's best to have something to do to occupy my mind after eating a Quest Bar.

I know lots of people like Quest Bars and I have nothing against them. Just wanted to share my experience with them as it might apply to your situation.

michellebrad
on 5/13/14 5:54 am - Eastlake, OH

Thanks for the insight...although I don't think it was the quest bar.  I actually DESPISE quest bars.  I have 2 left in my pantry and just use them to see if I'm really hungry or not.  I know that if I'm hungry, I'll eat it.  If I'm not hungry, one bit will turn me away.  I think PMS might have something (a LOT) to do with it.  I know last month, I ate some things I shouldn't have around that time.. so I'm guessing that's what's going on.  GRR I hate my brain sometimes. lol

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

vsg_joanna
on 5/13/14 7:09 am

You are totally me last week- this is EXACTLY what happens when I have PMS. Worst head hunger EVER. Try to keep yourself as busy as possible... honestly I have not yet figured out how to get around this besides just waiting for it to pass and keeping busy. Also, keeping busy is difficult as PMS also makes me super depressed... I hate it.

skeller
on 5/13/14 5:55 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Borrowing from an earlier post:

1. Sit down and write that list of 100 things to do other than eat.
  2. Post it on your fridge.
  3. Every time that head hunger returns, go through the list and pick out something else to do.

I have the same problem as you with head hunger, and it drives me crazy obsessing about food! But this list is helping me, as is just reminding myself that, yes, this is hard, and yes, hard won't kill me, and yes, I will get through this! It's like repeating that to myself helps dispel the head hunger demon.

There are also some emotional overeating workbooks out there that I pull out from time to time to read when things get bad, mostly to distract myself, but focus on something more along the path that I WANT to travel. Google or search Amazon for overeating workbooks.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Tracy D.
on 5/13/14 6:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have a love/hate affair with Quest bars.  They do spike my real hunger AND my head hunger.  

I might suggest that at just 3 months out it might be too much carb for you to have part of a protein bar and Wasa crackers.  It would have been enough to spark my head hunger that soon out.   Just a thought...

What can you do?  Drink, drink, drink and eat some more turkey.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Stacy_WLS
on 5/13/14 6:25 am

I hate this!  I get it a lot.  

Here are somethings that have worked really well for me:

• Take a bath
  • Go to the gym
  • Read
  • Go to bed

It is pretty tough to do these if you are at work.  What I do then is tell myself I can not eat unless I get enough water in.  So I wait my 30 minutes and force myself to get in 40 ounces of liquid before I allow another snack.  It is really mind over matter.  

The hardest time for me is at night.  So usually then I just go to bed.

You can do it!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

TruemansMom
on 5/13/14 6:36 am
VSG on 06/24/13

my suggestion

Drink some water- many times thirst feels like hunger post surgery.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views