My adapted view on food - is it wrong?

PinkNoley
on 5/14/14 4:21 am - IN

Two of my co-workers invited me out to lunch today and I passed because 1) They were going to Firehouse Subs and that's kind of pointless for a Celiacer and 2) I've been lax about what I eat lately because I'm comfortable where I am but I'm trying to re-dedicate myself and get these last 27 lbs off before my one year anniversary.

When my co-worker got back (he knows I had surgery) he asked if my lunch was "Firehouse Subs Delicious". And I said no, definitely not (it was chicken breast and a string cheese). Then I said that my lunch doesn't need to be delicious...its not a requirement for me anymore. It only has to serve as a source of protein.

I spent so many years fixated on eating things that tasted good, rather than being good for me. Now, I don't even care how it tastes...that's not the point of food to me. I need food to live and that's all. I don't need it to be delicious. When it is, that's a bonus. I think its my way of tricking myself to stay away from unhealthy food at this point in my journey. Maybe at some point I can go back to appreciating food for it's taste, but I'm just not there yet. 

Does anyone else see food this way? Did you in the last and then move past it? When did that happen?

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

frisco
on 5/14/14 4:32 am

I think that is a very healthy approach. It actually boils down to.... "what ever works".

I'm thinking a packet of tuna and cucumber slices for lunch in a little while from now.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/14 4:37 am

Your food is so boring Frisco, what about variety, spices, color, texture, taste?  Can't you make it at least look presentable rather than serving it in a can?  Seriously, get a little imagination.  :)  

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/14 4:35 am

Early on, this way of thinking worked well for me.  Now, I really want my food to be nutritious and taste great.  I think things started to change when my hunger came back, and I reached goal.  While losing weight, I was completely focused on my goal and nothing was going to get in my way.  I wanted to only eat those things and in those quantities that would get me to my goal.  Nothing else mattered much, certainly not taste.  Now, I am more relaxed in my approach and since I need to live this way for the rest of my life and not just until some specific goal or date, I need the flavors and the spices that good cooking brings.  I am still a foodie at heart, now I can be a skinny foodie. :)  

I think that you are just fine with your thought process and if it changes later, you will still be fine.  :)  Good luck to you in getting the last 27 pounds to drop.

Gwen M.
on 5/14/14 4:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If it works for you, that's great.  For me, for a diet (defined as "the way in which I eat") to be sustainable, food does need to taste good since eating is a sensory experience for me.  I also find that it's much easier for me to feel satisfied on small amounts of food if those small amounts are delicious.  If I eat unsatisfying food, I just end up craving things that are satisfying, so I might as well eat the satisfying food in the first place and not have those cravings.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mmmesser
on 5/14/14 10:18 am

I am moderate in my views on the need for taste vs. requirements.  When it's TOM for me...my body still wants increased fats and chocolate and I am also diagnosed and treated for Pre-Menstral Dysphoric D/O so...yeah.  I stick to an increase in nuts and some raisins and add a kick of the Cocoa PB2 and put Sugar free chocolate coffee flavoring in things that would fit this to trick myself.  I did good today in Kroger.  I had to go fill a prescription that required me to actually go inside to make sure it was filled correctly and I really wanted just a piece of chocolate something!  I looked at the check-out and the European aisle (as I know they tend to have smaller, healthier versions of chocolates).  I kept looking at the calories and serving size and just decided I didn't need it and went to get my Arctic Zero protein ice-cream.  You can eat a cup of that with 70 calories and with some protein...I can eat a half a cup and be satisfied.  Today has been a success so far and I definitely want something that taste good for the next few days especially and still hits nutritional needs while managing the PMDD symptoms.

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/14 9:12 am

Food has always had to taste good to me. It is possible even when making healthy choices. For me, I believe this way of thinking has gotten me to goal and keeps me here.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active