VSG and breastfeeding/mommy issues

Kfromak
on 5/14/14 9:30 am

Haven't had surgery yet but I think I've found my surgeon and doesn't sound like they're booking too far out. 

I'm  a breastfeeding mom of a 10 month old. She currently nurses 2x per day mainly for comfort. Stored breast milk (while at daycare) and big girl food the rest of the time. 

Ive  had a lot of negative feedback for choosing to cut back on breastfeeding to pursue a wls. (We only have about a months worth of pumped milk left) Many moms in my circle as well as family just aren't supportive  of my decision and see it as me putting myself before my daughter. They think I should wait for my sleeve until she is older. I think what's best for my daughter is to give her a happy healthy mamma, right now.  

I would like to be able to breastfeed at least twice per day, not so much for nutritional reasons for her but rather comfort nursing. She will be mainly on formula and donated milk once my stored breast milk runs out. Any sleevers out there have experience breastfeeding after being sleeved? Or being sleeved while having an infant? 

Laura Loses Lots
on 5/14/14 12:02 pm, edited 5/14/14 12:03 pm - AL
VSG on 12/03/14
Hi there, I'm sorry but I can't really offer any advice about breastfeeding post vsg, but I did want to show my support. At 26 years old, and five years(almost) married, I'm under a lot of pressure from my family and friends to hurry up and have children. When I made the choice to improve my health by going through the process of getting a vsg, and in turn putting off children for a few more years, you n would have thought I kicked ALL the puppies! I guess what I'm taking such a long time to say is, sometimes you know what's best for yourself, even if it goes against what everyone else thinks is right for you. I hope that you're able to find the answers your looking for! Have you typed it into the search at the top of the page? Or you can check out the forums page, there may be a topic there that helps. Good luck!

trinoc
on 5/14/14 12:16 pm, edited 5/14/14 12:18 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I think it will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy hard to maintain any supply at all post VSG.  Not enough calories.  I breastfed all of my kids (3) for 5-6 years total so I do know a little about it.  I just can't even imagine being able to do it.  And, I'm trying to imagine how I'd possibly be able to increase my fluids enough for that, too.  I just don't see it.  I think you'll have to make the decision about which you want more right now.

*edited to clarify how many kids and how long so I wasn't misleading

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

pineview01
on 5/14/14 12:45 pm, edited 5/14/14 12:51 pm - Davison, MI

Same here, 3 girls 4 years total.  I was breastfeeding the middle daughter when she was 1 year old I had wisdom teeth pulled.  They put me on "breastfeeding safe" pain meds.  This just meant they don't do anything or work at all.  Just do to the pain I couldn't feed her.  A couple days later there wasn't anything to feed and she rather have the cup of milk Daddy gave her.  This brought on over night weaning and I always regretted not putting the surgery off.  Just one Moms thoughts and know way judgmental.  Only YOU  can and should way the pros and cons on Momma milk (which contain what babies need and every day they seem to find something else in it not found in formula) and a healthier Mom.  You don't say what your heath issues are so once again only you can say if you can wait or not.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MAchick
on 5/14/14 12:28 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I would check with your surgeon, but I believe it was contraindicated in my WLS plan. Not enough nutrition for you or the baby, I think.

It sounds like you have a lot of people judging you right now, and it's not really their place to judge. YOU are the mother. This surgery is for YOU. And it would probably help your baby if you were healthier for her.

That being said, I've never had kids and I don't breastfeed. Good luck with your decision!

jengo1971
on 5/14/14 12:58 pm

I will respectfully disagree with all these ladies.  My son continued to nurse without any problems.  I continued to make plenty of milk as well.  He was 14 months.  Your said yourself she'll mainly be on formula.  Go for it!  Find my past post on the subject if you want.  Good luck and message me if you need anything.

Hugs,

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
KevinBacon
on 5/14/14 1:08 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

I was required by my insurance to wait until baby was 1 year and I was no longer bf, to start my program. 

I know you will make the right decision for you no matter what. there have been ladies who post about maintaining bf after surgery. Just want to encourage you that even if you wait a little while until she weans herself you can still very much have surgery! Who knows, maybe she will decide shes done in a couple months! Maybe next month!

I can tell you for me, though the wait was hard I don't regret any of my experience or the fact that I waited. No matter what my body looks like I will always be thankful for the fact that it nourished 3 of my babies for a combined 4.5 years. That time was sacred and ours. No one an ever take that from me :)  yes I totally just bragged on your topic lol

Ps. you're awesome ;) 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

EmmyK
on 5/14/14 1:12 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I breastfed for a long time with my two, but I only had surgery two weeks ago. 

I'd say, keep up your fluids.  Since your goal is comfort nursing, she will still suck and snuggle and just want to curl up with you, even if you aren't making much at all.  You'll be supplementing, and you indicated that she is already eating solids.

How long would you like to nurse?  Since you are in the process, you probably have a month or two of getting things set up (which would put you at a year, which is APA recommendation, but what matters is your expectation.  I did nurse longer than that.)  Have you gotten insurance approval?  Do you know if there is a 6 month supervised diet requirement?

PM me if you want to talk more!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

mickeymantle
on 5/14/14 3:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

besides the above problems of you getting enough fluids and nutrition to produce enough milk and stay healthy there may be the problem of drugs in your milk you will have to talk to your surgeon and pcp about what drugs will be given to you during and after surgery  and find out if they will be passed thru your milk and for how long

you may have to store milk for a few weeks and pump and spill out your milk from right after surgery

also talk to your pediatrician about if your daughter gains anything by breast feeding at 10 months 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kfromak
on 5/14/14 4:04 pm

Thanks guys. I breastfeed my older two children until they were about two years old. I'm going to increase my pumping ahead of time so she gets enough mamma milk in the freezer to delay formula as long as possible ahead of time. 

Ive heard mixed things from nutritionist/dieticians about wls and breastfeeding. One said it was fine as long as I added an extra protein shake and took my vitamins religiously. The other said not even possible. 

I am cash pay.  Were self employed and have individual health policies. they have direct exclusions for bariatrics. Alaska premera bcbs to be exact :)

As for support goes, my husband is on board 100%. My mom is 50/50, some days she's happy I made this choice, some days she's not. I have two close friends who have been supportive and a sister in law. I feel like everyone else in my circle just doesn't get it.  Family history with obesity is huge (no pun intended) and I just do not want to struggle with it for the rest of my life. I'm 28 and already feel like I've waited too darn long! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views