More praise for green chicken soup!

Betty A.
on 5/14/14 10:26 am
VSG on 11/26/13

I've seen the accolades, but the long list of veggies intimidated me a little. However, I'm tiring of tuna and turkey, and looking for recipes to keep me going in weight loss so decided to give it a try. Idk if I purchased baby bok choy or the mama because the grocery store didn't specific or have a choice (and I have never purchased it before). Lol! My house smells delicious from the fresh herbs and it tastes just as yummy as it smells. Thanks Elina for sharing!  I think I may make a small herb garden now. 

I do have a question though: this is the first soup I've had since liquids which had to be strained, so I'm a little unsure on how to 'do' soup. I ate the chicken and veggies but I'm nervous to have the liquid portion of it. Do you wait? 

I'm a Midwestern gal who grew up on a farm with grandparents. Beef was the main meat; potatoes and corn the main veggies. So, recipes like this are all new. It's fun though. I'm gonna try to make meatballs tomorrow with ground chicken- which may be considered near blasphemous to my farm girl roots, but I'm learning. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/14 12:48 pm
I am so glad you like it. I lived on it (more or less) during the winter when I lost most of my weight. Don't worry about "how" to eat it, just enjoy it. If you really want, eat the broth first, then the veggies and chicken. But you can really just eat it as is. Also, it freezes really well for up to three months. I always have some in my freezer along with a few other varieties. You might want to check my profile for other recopies. Also, check out Frisco's blog, I love his food. Enjoy.
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/14 2:08 am

I wanted to add some reasons as to why I didn't really worry about eating the veggies and chicken at the same time.  The reason for waiting between eating and drinking is that you want to keep the pyloric valve closed longer so that your stomach will not empty too quickly and you will not get hungry too soon after eating.  This soup only has about 50-60 calories per cup.  It would keep me full for about three hours.  How much longer to you want to stay full on so few calories? :)  In other words, even if your pyloric valve was to open earlier than you intended, you would still eat fewer calories than with almost any other food, so there is no real down side.  If you are uncertain, just blend the chicken into the soup and the problem goes away entirely.  I only did this in the first two weeks when I was on full liquids, otherwise, I just ate the soup normally.  I hope this helps.  

Gwen M.
on 5/15/14 1:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Due to the liquid/solid thing, I've skipped soup since surgery.  However, I had very soupy beef stew on Tuesday night since I made a bad choice in a restaurant.  I was expecting it to be much thicker with chunks of meat in it!  So I ate the liquid first and then the meat pieces, and then a spoonful or two of the veg.  It worked well, but is not an experience I plan to repeat any time soon.  

Veggies are delicious and if you have a local farmers market, you should try to take full advantage of it this summer!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

novascotiadawn
on 5/15/14 3:04 am, edited 5/15/14 3:05 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Can you send me some???... All I have is pictures from my last batches!!..Pleaseeeeeee :) LOL

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

frisco
on 5/15/14 8:34 am

Donna....... Nice !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/15/14 5:34 am, edited 5/15/14 5:36 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I found the original recipe to be quite bland.  I've altered it and use a variety of different vegetables and seasonings to give it some flavor and heat.   One of the best things to add is spinach because it contains so much iron.  The parsley is a waste of time as it doesn't contribute significantly to the nutritional value.  If you like cilantro, it's a better flavor profile.

I add cumin, jalapenos, sriracha sauce and lots of black pepper.  I've also found that roasting seasoned chicken in the oven and adding it after you puree the soup creates a better flavor than boiling the chicken.  

How you eat soup after VGS?  Well, that's a big question.  I eat the liquid portion first, then eat the proteins.  You will get a lot of fiber from this type of soup which helps keep your colon happy.  But there are many who think that soup is not the wisest choice.  They may be right.  I cannot disagree with some of their points.  For me, this is a great lunch to take to the office and it satisfies my need for warm food and savory flavors.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Mike_1964
on 5/16/14 2:32 am

I think I missed the receipe for this Green Chicken Soup.  The photos look great.  Can I get the receipe?

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/14 2:44 am, edited 5/16/14 2:45 am

Hi Mike, it's in my profile along with many other recopies. Just click on my avatar to find it.

Edit: Here it is.

Just please note, this recipe makes A  LOT of soup.  You can freeze it for up to three months or just make a lot less.  Also, you can use this as a "guide" but feel free to mix things up with different veggies or spices.  

Elina_7's Blog
Elina_7's Blog

[Add Post]

Green chicken soup [Edit Post]
January 26, 2010 2:08 pm
Published

Green Chicken Soup

3          Large chicken boneless/skinless breasts with fat trimmed (31oz)

2          Large cans of fat free chicken broth, low sodium (49.5 oz per can)

1          Bunch of Broccolini chopped (8oz)

3          Baby Bok Choys chopped (9oz total)

4          Small zucchini chopped (10oz total)

4          Large celery stalks chopped (9oz total)

5          Medium garlic cloves chopped

½         Bunch green onions chopped (1oz)

3          Large Carrots chopped (11oz total)

1          TBSP Dill Weed chopped

½         Bunch fresh parsley chopped

6oz      Frozen green peas

6oz      Fresh green beans chopped

In a large pot, combine all ingredients, except the peas and green beans. Keep the chicken breasts whole (you’ll shred them later). Boil for about 30 minutes. Once the chicken breasts are completely cooked , remove them to cool (pull them apart a little bit . . they’ll cool faster).

Meanwhile, put the vegetables and broth through a blender. (When doing this, it is a good idea to carefully pulse them in a blender with a towel around the blender lid and hold the lid firmly, as sometimes pressure can build with hot liquids in the blender. ) Then transfer the blended soup back into the large pot.

When the whole chicken breasts have cooled a bit, pull them apart by hand and shred them . They should be a little stringy when in shredded form, with no large chunks. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot.  Chop-up the green beans fairly small, and add into the pot along with the frozen peas.  Cook for about 10 more minutes, add salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views