Pre-surgery weight loss

jill_wls
on 5/17/14 4:02 am

Need to lose 30pounds b4 surgery.  Any advice on how to do that?

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:06 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

I was on a 2 week pre-op diet that included protein drinks, sugar-free jello, sugar-free popsicles, decaf coffee or tea, broth, a cup of fruits, veggies, or vegetable soup. I lost close to 15 lbs on that. How long before your surgery?

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

jill_wls
on 5/17/14 4:08 am

Well it's tentatively in August but was just informed I need to lose 30 pounds by then and also that I need to go to more than the 2 psych evaluations because apparently the shrink I saw didn't sign off on my surgery so am frustrated because I don't know why???  When is yours or did you already have surgery?

Tina M.
on 5/17/14 4:35 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

I had my surgery on April 30th. Don't get discouraged by the psych not signing off. Some just want to meet with you more to make sure that they feel you're doing this for the right reasons. As far as the weight loss, talk to your surgeon or nutritionist, if you have one. They can probably come up with a plan that works for you. Honestly, it will help you for after you get your sleeve, too. It gives you a jump-start on being disciplined and knowing what and when to eat. Keep checking this site. There's always good info posted, and so much inspiration! Best of luck to you!

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Gwen M.
on 5/17/14 6:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should call the psychiatrist and find out what the problem was with your eval.   

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jobe05
on 5/17/14 4:27 am

The psyc evail is not a pass or fail.  I think you may have a certain amount of visits with the Psychologist before you can have the operation.  With my insurance, their is so many psyc evails, so many Dr's visits, so many Nut visits, Pre-op nurse visits and so on.  Then my Dr has requirements, I have to attend so many support group meetings, I have to write letters, about 10 letters (full Page) of the various things about the operation.  Then I need 10 letters from people who have had this done regarding our communication and a letter from my wife as my support person...........  THen there are all the other medical things that they want taken care of or updated like, colonoscopy, sleep study (sleep apnea) and since I can't use my CPap because I can't breath out my nose, I will have surgery on Wednesday to open my airways in my nose.

The more I get into this the more I have a better understanding as to why I have to do these things, I think it all boils down to understanding and excepting the life changes that this entails including the ability to follow through regardless of how hard or mundane things may seem.

Don't get down because things arn't going as fast as you would like (I know that feeling), it's a process that must be followed......  And to think we are going through all this just to sit on the Losers Bench.........  Why not!!

Stacy_WLS
on 5/17/14 5:45 am

To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume.  I'd recommend leveraging myfitnesspal for tracking.  It is easier said than done, but commit to it.  It will be the hardest 30 lbs, once you have the surgery it will get easier.  

I understand and you being frusterated by the psych eval.  I had a horrible experience and was so mad after mine.  Upon reflection, she was doing her job.  It made me focus more on getting the right support system set up.  This is so much more important than I realized.  Talk to them, understand what the concerns are and ask for help to figure out how to overcome them.  This is a big step, I wanted it done Immediately, but for something so major, slowing down can be a good thing.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

mickeymantle
on 5/17/14 5:54 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the physic is a pass fail , they will not allow you to have wls if you are nor ready phycologicly to follow the plan

to lose the weight pre op , you need to eat around 1200 cal a day  8o proteins , 65 oz water

you nut should give you a food plan to do this

I had to lose 55 lb (12%) before my surgeon said he would do the surgery It took 7 months , I was sceduled to have surgery after 8 months but got a skin infection and needed to wait an other month ,the 9 th month 

the wait is a great help ion preparing  you for your new life , people that go thru a 6 month supervised diet pre op tend to do better after the surgery at reaching goal and keeping the weight off 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 5/17/14 7:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The short version is "eat fewer calories than you use."  But you probably knew that part.  

I had surgery in March and, starting in January, I swapped out "meals I didn't eat with people" for protein shakes. (I make them with a high quality powder and almond milk, so I know I'm keeping the carbs and calories low.)  So this meant that on most days, I had a shake for breakfast and lunch and then a normal dinner.  If I went out with friends at lunch on a random day, I didn't sweat it.  I lost 26.6 pounds during those 2.5 months, so it definitely worked well for me!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dvnmsm
on 5/17/14 9:01 am

I am in total agreement with Stacy_WLS. Use MyFitnessPal. I had to lose 5 - 25 pounds. I lost 35.  MFP is a great habit to get into!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views