I think I over-ate. Yuck.

Twinsinsept.
on 5/20/14 11:23 am
VSG on 05/06/14

I've been handling my first few days of soft solids pretty well 14 days out. When I got home from work, I was starving. I had like 1 oz of tilapia left over from last night, so I are that, a hard boiled egg and tried to let it settle but was still hungry. I took 2 bites of canned mixed veggies and got a pain in my breast bone. Took a deep breath and knew I was in trouble. I sat up straight and took a tiny sip of water, as it felt like it was stuck.  I sat upright and took deep breaths while convincing myself not to throw up or get the slimies. Neither happened but boy, I was sweating it. I feel stuffed now 2.5 hours later. 

Lesson learned. How to avoid getting overly hungry???

HW: 345. CW 272

Gwen M.
on 5/20/14 11:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

After you eat your allotted/measured food, try waiting 15-20 minutes and seeing if you're still hungry.  It takes your body that long to get full signals from your stomach.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Miss150
on 5/20/14 11:47 am, edited 5/20/14 11:49 am

If you add the egg to the fish-- and then the water- oh, my -well, you are well over what your sleeve (and I'm not talking your brain)  wants.  That's why you weigh and measure- eat- and then wait.  You are Ok-All of this is beneficial for learning....  Day by day-----be willing to learn.  If you want it....it will come.  bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/14 1:13 pm - Canada

I just did the same type of thing and am 5 months out.  It's a process.  One thing I learned last night...never put liquids on top of that pain!  I did throw up and it kinda sucked but it also relieved the pain so I'm kinda glad I did. I have been eating much less today and still hurting.  Hopefully I've learned my lesson!

Hope you feel better.

EmmyK
on 5/20/14 4:08 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I got the foamies tonight.  I eat too fast when I sit down to dinner with my family.  I paid the price about ten minutes after dinner.  After dealing with the pressure in my mid back, I suddenly started salivating like mad.  Gah.  So gross.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

cappy11448
on 5/20/14 8:21 pm

I've been there. When I get over-hungry, its not possible to eat enough to satisfy myself. I've over-eaten and it was painful, and I got the slimies on occasion.  I try hard not to wait more than 5 hours between meals, but sometimes its just beyond our control. 

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Valerie G.
on 5/20/14 10:50 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I may be able to offer something here.  I've been living with my sleeve stomach for almost 9 years now (ignore that I'm a DSer for now-irrelevant).   I keep track of you guys because we share the same stomach and I'm tickled to death to see that this procedure is taking over in place of the LapBand for those only needing restriction.

To keep from getting over-hungry, I would set myself an alarm to eat a little something every couple of hours.  I did this because I never felt hungry for nearly 9 months, and when it finally hit, it hit hard just like you describe and I reacted the same way.  The alarm really helps.  As you and your stomach become more acquainted, your body finds a new feeling to alert you that your stomach is empty.  It's no longer hunger pangs.  I cannot explain it - but I just "know" that I need something.  The key is to eat slower and stop when you're comfortable.  If there is only one or two bites on that plate, do not give into logic and finish them.  Let them go.  One bite can be the difference between satisfaction and misery.  I've been laughed at for it, but it's vital for me.  The kids will be starving in China whether I eat that last bite or two or not.

As you're approaching the edge, your body often gives you triggers that you are nearing the full-point.  The most common is that your nose starts to run.  My final warning is 2-3 hiccups.  If I've ignored the runny nose, that is the last chance I get before misery.  My hubby and son immediately say "Cut her off!". 

Keep a mental tally (or written one) of what you ate that gives you that feeling.  You definitely ate too much too fast in this instance, but you may notice as I did that some foods will do it every time.  Hard-boiled eggs don't have a lot of give in them and that dry yolk is the culprit for me.  I do much better with egg-salad, as the lubricant of the mayo slides it in easier and doesn't give that stuck feeling.  Some things you just always have to be careful eating, because they have a tendency to give you that feeling.  Dry meats, for example.  Chicken breast is rough - try thighs in stead, for they have more moisture.  Add sauce or gravy to help.  Potatoes are rough for me.  Just a few french fries early out had me vomiting, so avoid them for a while before you venture out.  They're not good for us anywyay.

I hope this helps. 

Val

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Karen D.
on 5/21/14 3:45 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On May 21, 2014 at 5:50 AM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:

I may be able to offer something here.  I've been living with my sleeve stomach for almost 9 years now (ignore that I'm a DSer for now-irrelevant).   I keep track of you guys because we share the same stomach and I'm tickled to death to see that this procedure is taking over in place of the LapBand for those only needing restriction.

To keep from getting over-hungry, I would set myself an alarm to eat a little something every couple of hours.  I did this because I never felt hungry for nearly 9 months, and when it finally hit, it hit hard just like you describe and I reacted the same way.  The alarm really helps.  As you and your stomach become more acquainted, your body finds a new feeling to alert you that your stomach is empty.  It's no longer hunger pangs.  I cannot explain it - but I just "know" that I need something.  The key is to eat slower and stop when you're comfortable.  If there is only one or two bites on that plate, do not give into logic and finish them.  Let them go.  One bite can be the difference between satisfaction and misery.  I've been laughed at for it, but it's vital for me.  The kids will be starving in China whether I eat that last bite or two or not.

As you're approaching the edge, your body often gives you triggers that you are nearing the full-point.  The most common is that your nose starts to run.  My final warning is 2-3 hiccups.  If I've ignored the runny nose, that is the last chance I get before misery.  My hubby and son immediately say "Cut her off!". 

Keep a mental tally (or written one) of what you ate that gives you that feeling.  You definitely ate too much too fast in this instance, but you may notice as I did that some foods will do it every time.  Hard-boiled eggs don't have a lot of give in them and that dry yolk is the culprit for me.  I do much better with egg-salad, as the lubricant of the mayo slides it in easier and doesn't give that stuck feeling.  Some things you just always have to be careful eating, because they have a tendency to give you that feeling.  Dry meats, for example.  Chicken breast is rough - try thighs in stead, for they have more moisture.  Add sauce or gravy to help.  Potatoes are rough for me.  Just a few french fries early out had me vomiting, so avoid them for a while before you venture out.  They're not good for us anywyay.

I hope this helps. 

Val

It's interesting to read this!  I am looking at revision and am constantly asking if VSG is really the same as the band.  I experience the exact same things if I over eat or eat too fast!  I don't want to trade the band for another surgery if I end up with the same issues.  I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks!

Valerie G.
on 5/21/14 3:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hi Karen.

I didn't intend to do any evangelizing about the DS.   The sleeve is restrictive like the band, with some added benefits of (a) not slipping or eroding into your stomach, (b) no continued maintenace of fills/unfills, (c) no hunger pangs because the grehlin producing part of the stomach is gone, leaving all important working parts intact.  It's a wonderful procedure, but for some it's not enough.  WLS is not one-size-fits-all.  Some people need that metabolic change, which is what the RNY an DS offer.  If you didn't get the results you'd hoped with the band, then some more research into these other procedures would be beneficial.  If you got good results and are revising because of a complication, then the sleeve would be the perfect alternative.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CurvesLatina130
on 5/21/14 9:10 am - Douglas, AZ
VSG on 05/07/14

Omg everything u said was so helpful!!!! I have felt that runny nose when I've over done it! I'm 14days out today but I also haste feeling like I'm starving and I don't know when im full it's hard to eat slow too

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 209 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 293 views