Can you help me figure this out?

Twinsinsept.
on 5/24/14 1:02 am
VSG on 05/06/14

I'm frustrated and feeling very down. 

-scale hasn't budged in a week and a half. 

-blood pressure is very low. 84/55

-urine is medium to darkish. 

-I'm puffy everywhere. My face, ankles, hands. Went off water pill 1.5 weeks ago due to blood pressure dropping. 

-I'm beyond frustrated with the scale. I didn't go through all of this to lose 20 lbs and then stall and get all puffy. I have a call out to my primary care but she never called back. 

What is going on?  Am I dehydrated? Retaining water?  Do I need to go back on the water pill?  I feel like giving up. Is this just another wasted failed attempt at weight loss???  

Grrrrrr.  Thanks for any input or advice. 

HW: 345. CW 272

mt_rose112
on 5/24/14 1:20 am - libby, MT

I think I would go to urgent care, this sounds serious. Just my opinion.

katym
on 5/24/14 1:30 am - PA

Hi Twinsinsept,

Sorry you are not feeling so hot. I want to say right at the outset that I have no medical training so I am glad you have a call in to your doctor (do not be shy about calling your surgeon too), but I do think that dehydration is a very real concern especially with you so close to surgery. Dehydration can make you feel crummy and slow down weight loss. Even though it sounds simple it can be a serious health problem. How much water are you drinking on a regular basis? I know it is hard immediately after surgery but by this time 64 oz a day should be your minimum. It might seem counterintuitive but getting enough liquids tends to keep me from retaining fluid. Do not worry about the scale right now.

all the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Sanna0909
on 5/24/14 1:44 am
VSG on 05/13/14

You should go to urgent care/ER and call your surgeon. If your urine is  dark you are dehydrated or you could have a kidney stone. I had to go to the ER 5 days post op with "fluid overload". Hope you feel better soon.

Gwen M.
on 5/24/14 1:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're definitely dehydrated.  How much are you drinking?  

Don't worry about the scale, the weight loss will come.  (I know that's easy for me to say, harder for you to do.)  But the other stuff is worth being concerned about.  Go to ER or urgent care if you can't get through to your surgeon this weekend.  

Don't give up.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

grayC
on 5/24/14 1:58 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Call..call... And then call again your Dr until they call back..

that being said..I also feel your dehydrated,it's SOOO important to sip,sip, sip even more important than protein goals this early out. As for the no weight loss it is Definatly a combo of water retention due to dehydration and possibly your in a stall which is very common..

please call your Dr...

ja4832me
on 5/24/14 3:54 am

I am not a doctor.  I take something called Maxide which helps with blood pressure and is a duretic.  I lost 50 pounds in a month after the DS, the weight stalled for 11 days.  I lost a pound on the 12th day.  A couple days later I was down 8 more pounds.  It really goes in spurts and doesn't seem predictable for me.  The point being you are not alone with weight frustrations.  Again, I'm not a doctor but my uneducated guess is the puffiness is likely water.  Your general practitioner would be the best person to ask.  Good luck and feel better.

Twinsinsept.
on 5/24/14 4:17 am
VSG on 05/06/14

I called my surgeon, and he asked me a million questions.  He finally decided that I needed to push the Gatorade, and add more protein shakes because he said the fluid is collecting in my tissues rather than in my blood vessels.  He said to start strictly counting my fluid intake and protein intake. I admit I haven't been the greatest about tracking.  He also said to walk as much as possible, that will move the fluids from the tissues to the blood vessels.

he said if I get nauseated or have vomiting or diarrhea to go to the ER for fluids.  He wants to see me Tuesday.  So, I'm off to the store to buy more premade protein shakes. I can't stomach the protein powder right now.

Thanks for all of your input, I truly appreciate it.

HW: 345. CW 272

pineview01
on 5/24/14 5:30 am - Davison, MI

You have to see your protein powder as life sustaining medicine.  If you had cancer would you not do chemo because you can't stand it.  It is a lot worse.

Right now the water is top priority.  The 64oz is min and I upped to 80+ for weight loss.

That is why we always say sip, sip sip, and walk, walk walk.  I even keep water on the night stand

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/14 3:30 pm - Canada

Thanks for posting this.  I have been retaining water for about a week now too.  It's been at least 7 months since my foot (fondly called clubby) has had any water retention.  I'm going to start tracking more (meaning not just the count I keep in my head) and see if this helps.  

I'm really glad you posted, I've been avoiding asking this question but I think this is a good place to start!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 213 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 296 views