OMG so frustrated

chellenc
on 5/25/14 2:08 am
RNY on 11/17/14

Why in the world does food have such a hold on me? I have my 5th nutrition visit in June and I have lost about 16 pounds , which is good but lately I have wanted to eat everything in site :(. My nutritionist has been looking at my food logs and even though I have been keeping my calories pretty much around 1500 it's the type of foods I am eating she doesn't like. I have been married for 23 yrs and right before I started this journey I asked him to leave. He was unfaithful and mentally abusive but I believe I stayed from low self esteem. I figured out I would rather be alone and happy than with someone who clearly doesn't respect me or himself to treat me this way. He left finally in October but still doesn't wanna let go of me but anyway that is a story for Dr. Phil hahahahhaa. I know what I need to do but now I have little or no money to buy the healthy foods and I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown lol. I know there are other people who feel like I do and I just want to get my gastric sleeve surgery done and start my new life cause so far my life has not been so good :( thanks for listening to me ramble. 

Michelle in NC

The_True_KayD
on 5/25/14 3:02 am

I am sorry to hear about your challenges. I had to work on releasing food's hold on me. I decided that I will no longer be held hostage by it. Once I put myself in the position of power, the food became less of a challenge. I found that buying froze veggies helped me save on costs along with checking the weekly sales flyer for meats that were on special. I buy extra chicken when it is on sale and freeze it. I even by the bone in chicken breasts and learned how to remove the breast. It was not hard at all. I walk in with my food list and buy my food from the outside parameter of the store. 

This journey has alot of head stuff. I decided that i was not going to be easily defeated! I got inventive and never used self defeating words. Let me congratulate you on loosing a good amount of weight by getting rid of the lousy husband. Your life may not have been that good in the past but that doesn't mean that it can't be great now! 

I am now approaching 6 mos out. I feel and look terrific. Believe me you will get to this point! That lousy husband will serve to be a good lesson to remind you what you don't want in your life! Enjoy the moment and look towards your future goals. Hanging on to the past will slow you down and there is nothing that you can do to change it anyway! Expend your energy on the new changes to come! As I said to my mentor that "It is all about me now. Anyone who wants to join me can join but I am not begging anyone!". She said that is EXACTLY what you need to do to be successful! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

JerseyCityGal
on 5/25/14 3:33 am - NJ
with

You don't need to buy organic.  Shopping the sales and planning your meals accordingly can make the price difference negligible.  So can spending wisely.  I don't know what your exact financial situation is, but I can't tell you how many people tell me they are broke while holding a $4 or $5 Starbucks beverage in their hand.  If you put your wallet on lockdown, you might be amazed with how much money slips through your fingers.  Think twice, spend once.  A good place to get a grip on your financial situation even if you don't have much money is www.Daveramsey.com   

Weight loss solves a lot of practical problems (I weighed 120 to 135 for quite a bit of my life), but it certainly doesn't make your life perfect.  Whatever emotional issues you have will still have to be dealt with.

Look for a community garden or start a small garden in your yard.  You would be amazed at how many fresh veggies a small garden can yield.  

Stacy_WLS
on 5/25/14 6:31 am

I completely understand the stranglehold that food can have.  I felt like I was trapped by it -- it can still get ahold of me now, but not as badly.  I would recommend checking out overeaters anonymous.  I have struggled w/ the spiritual part of the group, but have found great support -- especially in those darker times where you need support.  

The other posters are so right -- you do not need a lot of money to eat right.  Aldi / Farmers markets are good options for veggies and fruit -- which will fill you up for less calories, and then buy bulk meat and freeze leftovers.  You can do this!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Gwen M.
on 5/25/14 11:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views