Sleep apnea

NurseJackie
on 5/29/14 10:06 am
VSG on 07/10/14

So evidently I didn't do well with the sleep study because they called me to set up a CPAP at home.  Do I have to get the machine in hopes of after losing my weight it will go away?  I was so miserable with it on and I couldn't sleep !  Do they really make you bring it to the hospital for the surgery?

sdkitty
on 5/29/14 10:15 am

My husband had to bring his for the surgery, but he loves his machine. He said even if losing weight cures him from it, he'll probably still wear it because he loves it so much. Haha.

A. Kondrlik
on 5/29/14 10:24 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I also love my CPAP.  I have gotten to goal and was retested and still have sleep apnea, though my settings are now lower.  I got the Cpap about two years before surgery and slept and felt so much better that I haven't missed a night since.  some folks do experience a cure of their sleep apnea, but not all.  I did not have to bring my whole machine, just my mask for surgery.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Mary Gee
on 5/29/14 10:30 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I hate my machine!!  My S.A. was borderline - numbers were pretty low, but doctor ordered the machine because I was having surgery.  And Yes, I had to bring it to the hospital.

I don't notice any difference using the machine.  Probably because my numbers were low to begin with.  But I'm always sleeping in a recliner.  The other night I slept in bed, and SO said I snored like crazy.  So I'm going to sleep in the bed and see if that changes my readings - because when I did the home sleep test, I was in the recliner (which they said was ok).  So I plan on calling the doctor and setting up an appt. with the doctor in about two weeks. 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

56sunShine14
on 5/29/14 12:05 pm

Mary, what is involved in doing the sleep study at home?  My mother lives with me and can't stay on her own so for me to do it anywhere else is a hardship.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/29/14 10:28 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

They give you a thing you strap on your chest and waist. Then you put a nose canal(sp) in your nostrils. They preprogram it to start and end at a certain time. Then you take it back to the office the next day and they get the readings off of it.

happyteacher
on 5/29/14 10:35 am

I used to work in a sleep lab before I was a teacher.  Try wearing it in small bursts.  For example, first night you wear it and wake up 2 hours later.  Take it off.  Night 2, try to keep it on a little longer.  You will adjust, and will feel better once you start sleeping soundly.  Yes, they should make you wear it for surgery to prevent you from episodes where you stop breathing.  That is never a good thing when you are under anesthetic :(

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/29/14 10:29 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

They put oxygen in you when you are under so I needed it after surgery. I was told they would send me home if I did not bring it.

JT3
on 5/29/14 10:42 am

I was in the same boat, but I told my doc no cpap until I lose the weight and reevaluate.  He then gave me lifestyle modifications and discussed a dental device thatighy also help.  I still had the diagnosis for surgery, but left my options open.  I still may have to get a cpap or apap, but I won't even deal with those issues until later this year.  Not the option everyone would chose, but the right one for me

JT3

“Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.” –  James F. Byrnes

“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein

NurseJackie
on 5/29/14 10:46 am
VSG on 07/10/14

Thank you!  I was just so miserable during the sleep study.  I felt like I was suffocating.  I feel that I sleep so well, but I am always tired and attributed that to my weight and lack of activity.  This process is making me realize how badly I need to change my life.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views