Advil, Tylenol, or BC powder?

cajunlady1958
on 5/30/14 10:41 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I am 2 years post op and my doctor's office is closed for the weekend and they did not refill my Tramadol that I take for pain.

Can I take Advil or BC powder for the arthritis pain? I can't go through the whole weekend in pain I have too much to do. Thank you.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Gwen M.
on 5/30/14 11:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't know what BC powder is.  I take Tylenol for pain because everything else is an NSAID and my surgeon wants me to avoid NSAIDs due to my "history" of ulcers.  (I had one ulcer, not sure how that's a history, but whatever.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cajunlady1958
on 5/30/14 11:17 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Thank you. BC powder is a ground up analgesic, and tastes horrible.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

EmmyK
on 5/30/14 2:12 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

It's aspirin. Too hard on your stomach.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

weese
on 5/30/14 12:22 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

Have you tried the extended release tylenol? I have lupus and spinal stenosis with degenerative discs in my lower back. Since surgery I have been able to stop my nsaid and have been only taking the tramadol extended release. I use the tylenol a couple times a week for break through pain and it has surprised me how well it has worked! Maybe it will get u through the weekend. Good luck I understand your worry.

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

MAchick
on 5/31/14 9:59 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I didn't even know an extended release Tylenol existed!  Thanks for the suggestion,  I just picked some up to try.  I have a bulging disc in my back that has been acting up, paired with 12-hour days at a new job on my feet :-/

weese
on 5/30/14 12:26 pm
VSG on 02/26/14
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 2:07 pm - Canada

I was told ibuprofen was a no-no.  Which kinda sucked because I used to take it almost daily for pain.  But then weight loss has helped with that pain and I no longer need daily pain relievers...Praise God!  I do take tylenol occasionally when I have a headache or lately for my back that has been bothering me, it helps but not as well as ibuprofen.  

hollykim
on 5/31/14 10:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

with the VSG, you can take any of them. If you take the BC or Advil,take it with something to eat to protect your stomach.

being able to take NSAIDS is one of the primary reasons to have a VSG over the RNY.

GL

Calking
on 5/31/14 6:53 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Hi,

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.  All the above advice looks great with one exception.  Absolutely under no cir****tances should you take an

NSAID unless advised by a doctor.   The concern is that NSAIDS can cause ulcers and because you have a smaller stomach you could be more

likely to get an ulcer with an NSAID.  

The only other thing that I need to mention and this is more a simple point of fact.  You really should never seek medical advice from a forum 

such as this.  The reason is that there will likely be a hand full of patients that have had surgeons OK something while other surgeons will say

stay away.  The surgeon knows your case and specifics and you need to rely only on that surgeon and/or primary care physician as long as the

primary care physician is well versed in your surgery and background.  

I am two years post op as of yesterday and I have posted countless times on this forum and in all of my experience the best advice is to never

ever get medical advice here.  The people mean well and certainly identify with your cir****tances and of course ultimately it is your choice, but

realize that most that reply are not doctors or surgeons versed in bariatric surgery but instead have been or will be patients themselves.  

With that said all I can tell you, is that my surgeon had given me instructions that I will never take NSAIDS or aspirin based products.  I have done

this faithfully and successfully for two years.  Even though that was my instructions I am not indicating that you should or should not follow those

same instructions.  Please realize that there is a reason that many surgeons will have you swear off of NSAIDS.  When I have a question about such

things I tend to go to webmd.com.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/nonsteroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-nsaids

In that article midway down it says ...

Common side effects of this medicine include:

Read those words and please note that these are common side effects for the average person.  With the VSG we are not average people in 

that we have reduced the stomach size and therefore these side effects are more likely if not really careful.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views