Post weightloss skin question?

Kfromak
on 5/30/14 1:48 am

Surgery is scheduled for 6/5. I'm super excited. Somethjng that has been on my mind this morning is post weightloss skin. I know it's going to be an issue for me. What, if anything, can be done during the weightloss phase to help? My stomach is doomed already (3 pregnancies) but would like to preserve my arms and thighs. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 2:22 am - Canada

Only thing that I've seen really work besides surgery is to build muscle to fill the area that is being deflated of fat.  It takes up to a year for skin to shrink to where it will so be patient.  My friend who lost 80 lbs through diet and exercise did really well by lifting weights.  She didn't go the girly route...she did some hardcore lifting but her arms looked toned and great, no surgery needed.

Not sure I'd have the discipline or that everyone has the same ability to build muscle but it did work for her.  Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 5/30/14 4:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Pretty much nothing can be done to help.  Yes, muscle will help to fill out some of the skin, but it'll never be tight if loose skin is in your future.  All the creams and lotions and tricks in the world won't help.  

In good news, your skin will continue to tighten for a year or two post-goal, so you don't need to rush out to get plastic surgery right away!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

G5x5
on 5/30/14 5:12 am - VA

Unfortunately, a lot of the outcome seems to depend on your specific cir****tances.  While I'm sure there are some common trends, it kind of depends on which trend you resemble currently, your age, your genetics, and host of those factors.  That isn't the answer you'd like to have, but it's about the only one that really works.

The good news is, from what I've observed, you should never assume it's a lost cause.  You can look at the mirror at your largest weight and you'll never know what to expect until you get there.  This will become one of the most frustrating parts of the proces, but it can also motivate you.

From what I can tell, there seems to be about 6-7 places where the most potential for "damage" gets stored up (the kind that's likely to bother you most).  However, each of those areas has a high degree of "potential" (but not guaranteed) bounce back based on those earlier factors.  It could simply sway either way and will take 6-12 months before you really know.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

fran67
on 5/30/14 6:16 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I thought for sure my boobs would shrivel up to nothing because my mother's did after RNY and that my arms would be a flabby mess.  Well, both areas held up pretty well but it's my butt that's hanging over.  I've done plenty of squats and lunges but to no avail.  I might look gross naked but it's way better than all the fat I had.  Good luck!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

civilmomma
on 5/30/14 6:25 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I too have hopes to save my thighs and arms...my belly is a lost cause!

I am using bio oil on my skin in an attempt to keep it healthy.  I figure if my vitamins are good, I tone musle, and keep my skin surface in good condition, that is the best I can do to help it rebound.

So far, it looks like my boob will just be saggy, my arms a little flappy, but my belly is in rough shape and my inner thighs are SCARY!  oh well - at least they aren't filled to the brim with fat anymore.

Good luck!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

56sunShine14
on 5/31/14 1:14 am

@civilmomma, I like your def for inner thighs!  LOL

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

happyteacher
on 5/30/14 7:29 am

Loose skin is better than being super fat- try not to worry about it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Chelan
on 5/30/14 3:50 pm - Canada

Honestly dont hate me for this but I think loose skin looks worse than fat. 

happyteacher
on 5/31/14 3:56 am

No hate, I promise!  I totally understand your point of view on this. I did have plastic surgery for a tummy tuck, and am currently going through a reconstruction for a double mastectomy- which will result in a boob job by default.  During this process I will also have them take care of the loose skin in the neck area.  So, in other words I am not immune to how the extra skin looks by no means.  However, I was SO self-concscious being 6'2'' tall and over 330 pounds.  I struggled presenting in front of groups- which is a problem for a teacher who presents all day... and I won a major national award and present to adults at the district, state, and occasionally national level.  I avoided pictures, social anxiety, etc from the weight.  So when I lost it the majority of loose skin could be covered with normal clothing options.  My neck took a hit because I had a very, very thick neck heavy.  My abdomen was also a hot mess since that is where I carried the bulk of my weight.  Yes, I have sag in the thighs, but shorts cover it so not a problem.  In all, being a normal size (or as normal as one can be when you are an amazon) is far better than the loose skin. At least IMHO. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views