Have I Wrecked Things Already?

AngloAm
on 5/30/14 6:40 am

Okay so I have a problem/issue/question:

I got sleeved on 21 May. I've been utterly true to my doctor's requirement for three weeks post op on a liquid diet (protein shakes, diluted gatorade, water, broth, jello). But what I've noticed is that I seem to be able to eat more than the first few days - an 11 oz shake that would take before say an entire day, I can now get down me in about an hour or one and a half hours. With very little/no feelings of pain or stretching. I can also easily make my liquid goals, protein goals, and carb goals. I keep hearing about others who have problems.

I'm going to pull in the reins on myself, but ... have I made a micro-tear? I have no other symptoms (other than a bit of burping) but I'm worried. Or have I ruined everything by eating so fast/much that I'm stretching my pouch and will have done this for naught? My doctors office says that if I can't decelerate to one ounce every 15 minutes I should at least drink no more than one ounce every 10. So back to medicine cups again? :-(

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Gwen M.
on 5/30/14 6:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

That's great!  I was able to make my liquid and protein goals really early out too.  I've never had a problem with liquids - I guess I didn't have a lot of internal swelling to deal with.  Real restriction didn't start to kick in until pureed foods a little and soft foods quite a bit.  

You haven't ruined everything.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AngloAm
on 5/31/14 7:33 am

Phew. :) Thanks!

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Catwoman77
on 5/30/14 6:53 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Every plan is different,  but I don't think you've ruined anything.  I'm about a week further out than you and I also find that drinking is easier now than it was immediately post op. My plan is different than yours and allowed purees beginning at week 2, and I definitely feel restriction with foods even though drinking is easier.  Stick to your surgeon's plan and I'm sure you will do great! We can do this! 

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

AngloAm
on 5/31/14 7:33 am

Too right and thanks for the perspective!

emelar
on 5/30/14 6:58 am - TX

You're not eating - you're drinking.  And it sounds like the swelling has gone down from surgery, so you're able to drink easily.  That's a good thing.  Nothing is ruined or even out of whack.  It's perfectly normal.

You will meet your restriction when you start eating regular food.  Trust me!

AngloAm
on 5/31/14 7:34 am

I guess I kinda 'trusted' the restriction to keep me in check. Mind you when I'm not panicking I realize that I'm drinking waaaaaay slower than I used to. 

EverydayDiva
on 5/30/14 6:59 am

Hey there,

I was also sleeved on May 21. I'd follow your doctor's advice, as we are all different; but for what it's worth, here's my experience.

I had my one week post op yesterday and asked my Dr. and Nutritionist the very same question. Dr. indicated it was likely my swelling was going down, and so I was able to consume more now. She cautioned that I wasn't healed and needed to continue to weigh things and take it easy. She said the stomach rumblings I thought were a 'growling stomach' indicating hunger weren't (more likely gas ). For thin liquids (Crystal Light, etc) she said to feel free to drink as much as I wanted. Take it easy on the thicker stuff. The nutritionist said for meals (thicker liquids that include protein shakes, the strained soups, etc.,) I should continue to measure, and and not over-do it. She said I could go a little over the 4 ounces as long as I was consuming it comfortably in a 30 minute window - she discouraged me from drinking a 'meal' over long periods of time. I also asked about the burping (I experience that too) and she said it's a sign of 'full' and I should stop. I've seen many other say on here that you can't necessarily feel the normal signals from your tummy until much later in your healing.

Above all, listen to your doctor's advice. Maybe we both have micro-tears :-) but she seemed to think I was doing fine.

Good luck!

AngloAm
on 5/31/14 7:35 am

Wow, thanks! I appreciate all that insight and information. My doctor said that I was doing fine if I felt fine and that I should try to slow to one ounce over ten minutes, not fifteen. I am kinda there. I am glad to hear about the burps - I'm going to try to stop before I feel that pressure under my sternum.

grayC
on 5/30/14 7:03 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I just have to say that I love this post b/c I can so remember being newly sleeved and thinking I"broke" it..

that being said..you can drink more now b/c your swelling is going down, I could drink pretty much regularly about 2-3 weeks out...

why would you think you had a micro tear? 

Is your only symptom burping? .

thats just you taking into much air but it was also a symptom of "full" for me

along with runny nose and hiccuping which is still true at over a year out.

believe me once you start dense protein you will feel when you've eaten too much!

you'll either get the feeling of foamies which is like this nauseous, coming back up in you w/ a side of copious slavia, or sick to your stomach like you've just eaten a 10 course meal or the worst having it all come back at you...

when you start to eat, eat..take it slow, I only had foamies and nausea once and that was enough..my DH had it on a regular basis b/c he couldn't slow his eating down..finally I'd just remind him to slow it down when I saw him going to town..have a great weekend and try not to worry toooo much

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views