Is white wine a clear liquid?

EverydayDiva
on 5/30/14 8:25 am

Just kidding (well, maybe not so much). It's Friday night after a terrible few days at work, and I am craving that Friday night glass of wine. Only 8 days out, so can't even replace it with a soak in the hot tub or a glass of sparkling water.

What have you done to replace some of those old habits while recovering?

VSG Surgery Date 05/21/14      

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/14 9:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Crystal Light makes appletini and cosmo flavors that are actually really good! You can mix them with crushed ice and turn them into a slushy, and maybe even put a little umbrella in them! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

EverydayDiva
on 5/30/14 11:03 pm

Those sound great, thank you! And love your forum name!

Miss150
on 5/30/14 12:07 pm, edited 5/30/14 12:09 pm

Respectfully saying----no, no... and NO.  the alcohol thing (if it is to be re-introduced, is way down the line---like, in Maintenance- land)  there are a few concrete reasons for this :  1. being that alcohol inhibits your control center.  Do you really want diminished capacity when it comes to slider food consumption?  2.  You are still recovering from major surgery- your tum is not ready for alcohol.  Period- Paragraph.,  3.  (and, maybe most importantly)-- there are so many emotional  life coping emotional issues you need to be working out--wine may be a bandaid for you.  Let it go-  feel the feelings--work them out.....

What have i done to replace old  (eating-sleeping-isolating-drinking)  habits while recovering- get naked, girl, and face life raw and with courage.  It's worth living in the raw.  You are strong, and can do it!  bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

greensleeved
on 5/30/14 1:03 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Your last paragraph there is gold Miss150.  I'm going to copy it and read it when I need it!

EverydayDiva
on 5/30/14 11:10 pm

Congratulations on your weightloss - what a wonderful success story. And honestly, thank you for caring enough to post. I wasn't seriously going to have a glass of wine at 9 days post op, or even contemplating how long I should wait if I one day decide to.  For me, it's a good idea to have a go-to list of alternate, healthy behaviors at hand when faced with old cravings. It takes that plus courage for me. It's the old 'failure to plan' thing.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 2:12 pm - Canada
  1. Call an old friend.
  2. Read a book you've had sitting around that you keep meaning to read.
  3. Give yourself a pedicure or just soak your feet in ho****er with some epson salts.
  4. Pick up your hobby if you have one.
  5. Watch a comedy that makes you laugh and cry (great stress relief both of them).
  6. Organize your junk drawer...it always amazes me what ends up in that drawer.
  7. Go for a walk around the block and say Hi! to one of your neighbours.
  8. Cuddle with a furry baby if you have one.
  9. Go for a drive in the country.
  10. Stargaze
EverydayDiva
on 5/30/14 11:02 pm

Thanks kekosmom! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. At 9 days out I wasn't seriously going to have a glass of wine; just looking for alternate, healthy behaviors as a distraction. I think it's very healthy to have a plan for alternate behavior when those old cravings come along.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 11:10 pm - Canada

I totally agree and everything changes.  I went from a very artsy person during my "fat years" to wanting to be outside and experiencing life now.  This process is a continuous bunch of readjustments! Now is the time to start trying new things to find out who you are going to be when you grow up lol.  This process doesn't just change your body - it changes everything!!!

cappy11448
on 5/30/14 7:37 pm

I sometimes want a glass of wine to unwind, but I find I want to lose weight more.  When I do drink wine, it throws my weight loss off for days, and that's enough to keep me away.  I substitute herbal teas, and I find the warmth and sweetness really comforting.

I had my first wine about 5 months post op.  I limited it to a 1/2 cup and didn't have any problems with it.  But again, I save wine for special occasions because it costs me in the weight loss department.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views