Evil mother nature messing with me...need advice/reassurance :/

somethingwitty372
on 6/2/14 11:56 am

Ok so I had promised myself I wouldn't be an overreactive complainer but....I can't help myself tonight! I have poly cystic ovary syndrome and before surgery on 5/14/14 I only got my period once or twice a year. I happened to get it two weeks before surgery. About 4 days ago I woke up in the morning w slightly sore boobs...the tell tale sign that mother nature is visiting soon..AGAIN! Now, I was aware that my cycle would become more regular/frequent after surgery, but geez, I don't know if I'm ready for all this B.S. again after years of only one or two a year! Aside from that, I got on the scale tonight and I've gained 3lbs in a day! I'm still on full liquids!  How is this even possible?! I know i will probably be back down a pound tomorrow morning, but that's still a gain. And what if I get one of those ungodly post op periods I hear some ladies talk about? Will I keep gaining or stall out completely until its done? I'm not used to this fluctuation and being so early out and seeing the scale jump just scares the **** out of me. I don't like seeing it go up...not at all :( oh and ill be 3 weeks out on Weds, SW 230.6, CW ****il tonight)214.0

Any insight, ladies?

VSG w/Dr. John J Kelly @ UMASS memorial on 5/14/14 HW 271.6 SW 231.6 M1-21.6, M2-13.2, M3-11.8, M4-12.8, M5-9.4

MAchick
on 6/2/14 12:38 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I have PCOS too but my periods weren't too screwed up. They used to be when i was younger,  before I went on birth control. 

I have noticed my period is a little wonky this past month.  Lasted longer,  spotting. And now,  like two weeks later,  I'm getting terrible cramps again. 

I've just accepted that it's part of the process. I get very hungry and emotional around my TOM so it sucks. I also have a lot of ovarian pain,  but not as much as when I was a teenager. 

Long story short,  I have no answers but I feel your pain LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/14 1:53 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

I understand completely. I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 11 and I get a cycle for 4 months extremely heavy No break and then nothing for a few months. Sometimes i was lucky and had 2 in a year. I had surgery March 26th and and have not had a cycle yet but bloated so bad this week i gained 4 pounds and teeter tottered. Now its starting to drop again so I know a horrible cycle is starting. I am hoping itd not 4 months long like presurgery. Good luck. 

pineview01
on 6/2/14 1:59 pm - Davison, MI

Completely "normal" women get messed up from this surgery.  The DD had hers 2 week prior and started on the table.  Than had a six week long period.  Than again two weeks later.  When you start breaking down fat the stored hormones are released.  I am post menopausal and after surgery I had some discharge with blood flakes.  The doc went nuts and sent me straight to  GYN as this is a sure sign of cancer in us.  Nope, only thing they could come up with is the suggestion I made to doc based on this site was just a one time weirdness from a blast of "old" hormones in fat.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Gwen M.
on 6/3/14 12:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My period is all weird too, and I take birth control pills!  And, of course, the scale doesn't want to move AT ALL, when I have my period.  Oh well :P  

I highly recommend using TrendWeight to track your weight.  It really helps me stay sane with the scale and be able to focus on the trend of my weight instead of day to day fluctuations.  This was such a boon when I had my period last week and bounced around the same pound for nine days.  My weight still trended downward so I knew that it was all going to be okay :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views