What the heck?

ScramblesMcGee
on 6/4/14 4:38 am

Are you ever offended when people ask how much you've lost? 

I am.

You wouldn't ask me how much I weigh. Why would people ever think it's okay to ask how much I've lost? I feel a little safer giving you, my bariatric brothers and sisters, this info if it will encourage your own loss, but I'm still somewhat anonymous.  Some gossipy lady at my church asked me how much I've lost. I just said "You think I lost some weight?" That's wonderful! I was thinking my pants were fitting better."

So, how have you handled this if it's private to you?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/4/14 5:09 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I understand where you're coming from. However, it doesn't bother me.  I've very open about everything with my life, but I can understand how people fixated on numbers.

Can I ask you a question?  What is that in your avatar?  It looks like a piece of uncooked meat.  I'm just curious - or nosy like the gossipy lady at your church.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ScramblesMcGee
on 6/4/14 5:34 am

Thanks for the reply. Guess everyone is different. That piece of meat  is the portion of my stomach that was removed in the VSG. I asked the surgeon for it but he said he would have a nurse take a pic with his phone instead. It was a great trophy. Thanks for asking.

chriswife19
on 6/4/14 8:44 am
VSG on 05/28/14

Wish I could have gotten mine to do the same!

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

Calaska
on 6/4/14 1:45 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I will be asking my surgeon to do the same!  Thanks for the idea!

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Jennsumner722
on 6/4/14 5:34 am
VSG on 04/23/14 with

I think that's the part of the stomach that's removed with the VSG.

Jennsumner722
on 6/4/14 5:35 am
VSG on 04/23/14 with

I do when it's from people that I know aren't happy with my weight loss so far.

Nikke2003
on 6/4/14 5:37 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It doesn't offend me.... but it does embarrass me when people yell it out across a room full of people and then everyone stares at me... you might be thinking "Surely that doesn't happen" - but it has on three separate occasions with members of my husband's family! Ugh!

If someone asks me privately or just not in a room full of people that can hear me and start staring... I tell them! I also tell people how much I weigh... I feel great and I have no shame about the number on the scale anymore... but I can certainly understand why the question offends some!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

JustLikePluto
on 6/4/14 5:55 am

Kind of like the trophy idea from your avatar, Scrambles.  Can you upload a bigger image of it-- the little avatar one is pretty low-res for a screensaver, etc.   I'm sure my wife will love it.

ScramblesMcGee
on 6/4/14 10:44 am

Tried the bigger one but it wouldn't work. Will attempt again and let you know if it works.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views