Hiatal Hernia with VSG surgery??

Journey2014
on 6/22/14 6:38 am

I had my endoscopy on Friday and it turns out that I have a hiatal hernia.  I did not get the opportunity to speak with my surgeon after the endoscopy so the only info I have is that there is a hiatal hernia and she will try to correct it during surgery. I have a million questions though and i am hoping some of you have experiences to share that can help me fill in the gaps.  I want to know if this complicates the surgery or if it increases the risk of complications later. I would like to know how the hernia is corrected and how it affects surgery time and recovery time. 

Anyone out there with this kind of experience? 

~Rock bottom has become a solid foundation on which I will rebuild my life~

happyteacher
on 6/22/14 7:02 am

I went it knowing that it was "likely" I had one.  Had HORRIBLE reflux prior to surgery.  Doc had to really look for it, but he found it.  Woke up heartburn free for the first time in years.  What a joy! The surgery was worth it just for that reason!   No extra complications or anything.  There was discomfort from that part of the surgery, more so than the actual stomach surgery... but even with that my recovery was super easy.  No worries about it!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ReadyToBeTime4Me
on 6/22/14 7:04 am

I had a VSG in May.  My surgeon found and repaired a hiatal hernia.  I had no difference in recovery or surgery time from what I could tell.  I wasn't e en aware I had one.  Doing well post op and glad I didn't have to have two surgeries!

Bufflehead
on 6/22/14 7:10 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during surgery. The only ways I would have known: 1) my surgeon told me about it and 2) my occasional GERD prior to surgery vanished after surgery.

I had a really easy recovery, no pain that I could attribute to the hernia repair, and no complications from it or anything else.

mickeymantle
on 6/22/14 7:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon found a small one during the surgery that did not show up on the endoscopic, he fixed it and told my hubby about it while I was in recovery 

my reflux that I had before surgery had dissappearred but I still take a ppi as a precaution

the repairs increases the time of surgery slightly and there is less risk of complication than having a second surgery latter to repair it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Journey2014
on 6/22/14 9:24 am

This is what makes this board so awesome! Thank you for easing my mind!!!! 

~Rock bottom has become a solid foundation on which I will rebuild my life~

sherryinva
on 6/23/14 6:27 am

I didn't know I had a hiatal hernia. When the doctor was doing the VSG, he noticed and fixed it. This added only about 15 minutes more to my surgery. I had a great recovery. I was sore for about 3 days, but no issues. I was ready to go back to work after 2 weeks. I had no issues at all.I was sleeved on 5/29/14.  I'm glad that both were done at once so I didn't have to have another surgery for it. I hope yours goes well :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views