Post op pain question

sdkitty
on 6/21/14 10:30 pm

So if anyone remembers I was very scared for surgery, but I ended up having it on Tuesday. I can't sugar coat it because it was the worst pain I've ever had. They tried several different IV pain meds and they all either made me sick or made me break out into a heat rash so I finally had them stop trying. The problem I'm having now is the incision slightly to the left but directly above my belly button. This incision is indented about 1/2" further than the others. It feels like the worst strained muscle you can imagine. If I have to change positions it makes me scream with pain. The pain pills barely take the edge off. I have quite severe fibromyalgia so I don't know if it's because my muscles are extra sensitive or if something can go wrong and cause a problem in this area? The pain is as bad as full blown labor contractions when I try to change positions. Any ideas? 

The good news is I've been able to drink just fine and I'm already meeting my protein goals and I've been able to walk further than I expected as well.

Gwen M.
on 6/21/14 11:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That one incision where the stitch goes through the muscles took 3-4 weeks to feel better for me.  It was definitely the hold out to my comfort!  

You might want to ask if heat or ice would be useful and give those a try.  Is there any stronger pain pill you could take?  Or maybe a muscle relaxant like skelaxin (sp?) would help?  You definitely should NOT be stuck with pain that makes you scream, and your medical team should address that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 6/22/14 3:11 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

does your hospital have a pain center , there are many other ways of treating pain , they have an electric device that blocks the nerves from sending the pain to the brain, there are patches , there are pumps that inject a local pain killer into the area , you should not be in so much pain at this point

call your surgeon again , you might have a tight stitch and will fix it self in a few days or an other problem

there are many ways of treating pain talk to your doctor about it now don't wait till Monday there is someone on c all 24/7

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hislady
on 6/22/14 4:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Are you taking the pain meds regularly or waiting until the pain is bad and then taking them? It makes a big difference because you need to stay on a regular schedule rather than wait for the pain to come back. If you stay on top of the pain most pain meds will take care of the pain. If they aren't then you need to call your doc because you shouldn't have to be in that much pain. I also have fibro and that can definately flare from surgery but you would feel that all over not just in the surgical area. It for sure shouldn't cause pain as bad as being in labor. Could some of it be gas pain, in that case walking and maybe gas-x strips might help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views